"Snowflake"!

Thread: "Snowflake"!

patm is offline Senior Member

Default"Snowflake"!

I was going to PM you, but thought I'd put it on the forum for others who might be interested. We have recently completed a 1/2 acre pond and my husband is in the process of building a dock! (do you see where I'm going here?) Emilu has always been a "dock jumper" from the first leap I ever saw her take into the water. She LOVES water retrieves. She is a moderately excited land retreiver, but LOVES water retrieves. We currently train and show in obedience (of which she half-heartedly participates in), but I really think that I would like to do some dock-diving with her, just to do something fun with her that I think she would enjoy more than obedience. She is 6 years old. We live in SE Ohio. How would you suggest we get started with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Super! Another dock diving addict in the making!

You're in Ohio, right? You need to contact Buckeye DockDogs. They are a super group with lots of experienced people. They put on lots of events and can definitely help you get hooked...er, uh, I mean started.

If you contact them and they don't contact you back, please let me know and I'll email the president for you.

Tell them ChocolateDawg sent you. (That's my handle on the DockDogs forum. They won't know me as Snowflake.)

In the meantime, you might want to check out these info links:

Teaching Your Dog to Dock Dive: That First Jump
    Teaching Your Dog to Dock Dive: Form and Distance
    Dock Diving FAQs
    Newcomer Tips: Your First Event

Good luck! It is a great sport!

patm is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Theres a couple things going on in Ohio the end of September - unfortunately they are on the same day - wouldn't you know it! I'll contact the Ohio chapter and do some internet reading. We did build the dock to be 2 feet off the water cuz that's what I read the docks were in the regulations. I don't know where I'l find the time, but it sure looks like fun!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LopersNLabs is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the new pond! I am around Canton Ohio, and we average two events a month sometimes with our dogs. BTW there is a new regaional DD club coming to your area for too! It will bring more events and practices to the eastern Ohio/western PA area! If you want more info let me know. There is a pretty big group of us in the area who get together and practice a lot, let me know you would like to join us! Cheers and happy jumping!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I'm so jealous.

I would love to have a dock and a pool for the boys. I just know they would love it, and I would bet the farm they would be really good at it too. Simon would kick butt at the vertical jumping.