Do you see STUPID on this person's forehead?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you see STUPID on this person's forehead?

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

AngryDo you see STUPID on this person's forehead?

Our dock diving club, Dixie Dock Dogs, is holding our first dock diving event next weekend. We've worked very, VERY hard on this event. We are expecting over 100 dogs. We have all kinds of neat things planned, and it should be tons of fun.

One of our main objectives is to raise money for our charity, Chase Away Canine Cancer. There will be raffles with all proceeds going to this charity. In addition, we will make a HUGE donation from our proceeds. Hoppy will also be the official Chase Donation Dog and go around and collect during the entire event.

My point is....this is going to be a fantastic event in which everybody is a winner: spectators, competitors, and our charity.

Now, this is a letter to the editor that was in the local paper this past week. Some people just don't get it....and never will.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    I am writing about the planned “Dock diving dogs” event that is planned for Aug. 28-30 at the Fishing Creek Outfitters Throwdown in Milledgeville.

An organization called “Dixie Dock Dogs,” with representatives Bill and Nancy Akin out of Watkinville, is apparently organizing this event in which dogs compete in jumping into a pool of water from a dock.

If this involved Bill and Nancy flipping head over heels into the water, I would gladly come and bring my cooler and enjoy the show. But they are conning people to enter their companion dogs into this competition, and I can hardly see how an animal can agree or approve of this kind of “fun.”

It reminds me of dog racing and all the heartbreak for the animals this kind of activity breeds. Until dogs step up and declare they want to do this, I declare that animals are not ours for entertainment.

Throwing a ball or stick or frisbee for the dog’s enjoyment is entertaining for the dog as well as for his human companion.

I hope Bill and Nancy take their tails back to Watkinsville and start practicing their own jumps into water and come back when they have mastered the “sport.”

What I see is dollar signs for Bill and Nancy, and please don’t whine to me that it is for charity. No decent charity would sponsor this kind of “entertainment.”

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now, for anyone who has read this far, here is the response I wrote to the paper. It was published today.

--------------------------------------------------------------

In a recent letter published in the Union-Recorder about The Fishing Creek Outfitters Throwdown, a dock diving event coming to Milledgeville next weekend, we were characterized as frauds by stating we were "conning people into entering their companion dogs in this competition." The letter went on to liken dock diving to "dog racing with all the heartbreak for animals this kind of activity breeds."

Obviously, the writer has never spent any time around Labrador Retrievers, the most popular dock dog, and does not know what avid water retrievers they are. These dogs were born and bred to jump into water and swim to retrieve objects. Dock diving is as natural an activity for Labs as herding is for Border Collies.

And the other breeds that will be at this event? Have you never seen dogs of all breeds and mixed breeds that love water and enjoy swimming and retrieving. Again, dock diving is a natural extension of a dogs inborn drive and quest for fun.

A great many of the people entering their dogs in this competition, if not most of them, are people who live on or near a lake. Their dogs jump off their docks into the water all the time. Why? Those dogs are jumping off docks into water on a daily basis just for fun, which is precisely what they will be doing at our event.

At DockDog events, no dogs are made to jump off the dock. If they don't want to jump, they simply walk back down the steps as the crowd cheers for the good try. No harm. No foul. As a matter of fact, it's against the rules to use any force whatsoever on the dock…no training collars are allowed, no pinch collars, prong collars, e-collars, or choke collars. And if any handler pushes his or her dog off the dock, that person is automatically disqualified. All we allow on the dock is fun.

The biggest misconception in the letter, however, was the writer's inference to the event not benefitting canine charities by stating that "no decent charity would sponsor this kind of 'entertainment.'"

The charity we support is Chase Away Canine Cancer. You are invited to check out their work, hand-in-hand with the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, at their website ChaseAwayCanineCancer.org.

The national organization of DockDogs, along with its affiliate clubs like Dixie Dock Dogs, has been supporting this charity since 2006. This year alone, efforts at DockDogs events have raised over $212,000.00 for this cause.

As far as us seeing "dollar signs" from this event, neither we nor any member of Dixie Dock Dogs is paid. The organizing and running of this event is being done on a purely voluntary basis.

We would like to thank the wonderful people of Milledgeville, especially Fishing Creek Outfitters, for warmly welcoming us into your town with such open arms as you have done. The response to this event has been overwhelming.

We invite every Milledgeville resident to come out next weekend and see for yourselves what dock diving is all about. What will you see? You'll see people, adults and children alike, laughing, cheering, clapping, having tons of fun. You'll also see dogs of all breeds and all sizes having the time of their lives doing what they enjoy the most…jumping, swimming and retrieving.

Bill Akin, President, and Nancy Akin, Membership Chair
    Dixie Dock Dogs (DixieDockDogs.com)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

A certified dumbarse, that one!! Guess they don't have a Bass Pro Warehouse down there, eh? Or have cable channels tuned into dog sports on TV...the writer of that article is dumber than dumb.

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Yep, definitely see STOOOPID and IGNORANT there! Oh lah!!! There's always that person who knows nothing or next to nothing but considers themselves the world expert. *eyeball roll*.

I liked your response!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

That sounds like someone who either has a personal grudge against you or is jealous of your work & what you're achieving. Did they have the guts to put their name to it?

What I see is dollar signs for Bill and Nancy, and please don’t whine to me that it is for charity. No decent charity would sponsor this kind of “entertainment.”
    The way I read this, it seems to imply that you are doing this under the guise of a charity but pocketing the money yourselves. If someone wrote that about me, I'd be threatening the author & the paper with legal action unless they gave me a public apology.

That's just slanderous & should be stopped right now before it goes any further.

It sounds like a fun weekend. I wish I could be there.

patm is offline Senior Member

I think that this has "PETA Person" written all over it. This is exactly the type of thing that they would say. I would be pretty sure that they would not approve an ANY "animal sport" I would not write them off as being just be "stupid" (allthough they are) This kind of crap can be politically powerful and can be dangerous to all people who do anything with animals. If they were just "stupid", you could invite them to the event and I think they would quickly see that "no animals were harmed" doing this. I thought your "rebuttal letter" was very well written, and hopefull anyone who read the first letter, also read yours. Good luck with your event!

labby is offline Senior Member

*shakes head*

Laura

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I think that this has "PETA Person" written all over it. This is exactly the type of thing that they would say. I would be pretty sure that they would not approve an ANY "animal sport" I would not write them off as being just be "stupid" (allthough they are) This kind of crap can be politically powerful and can be dangerous to all people who do anything with animals. If they were just "stupid", you could invite them to the event and I think they would quickly see that "no animals were harmed" doing this. I thought your "rebuttal letter" was very well written, and hopefull anyone who read the first letter, also read yours.
    My thinking, exactly.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

The stupidity of the human race never ceases to amaze me. Your reply was very well stated and left no doubt in anyone's mind that this is a purely fun sport for them as well as raising funds for a good cause. Obviously that idiot has never lost a beloved companion animal to cancer or they would realize that this is a very, very good cause.

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

The way I read this, it seems to imply that you are doing this under the guise of a charity but pocketing the money yourselves. If someone wrote that about me, I'd be threatening the author & the paper with legal action unless they gave me a public apology.

That's just slanderous & should be stopped right now before it goes any further.
    You are absolutely correct!! The paper should have never printed something libelous like that.

We seriously considered this. But the last thing we want just before our event is to be characterized as trouble-makers.

Actually, this is turning into a great publicity gimmick for us. Our sponsor (Fishing Creek Outfitters) says he's gotten more response and more comments about this article than anything else he or we have done so far!

And I just got a call from a lady wanting to know the times and cost of admission. She said she had been reading the letters in the paper and she had previously had Springer Spaniels that loved the water. She wanted to come see the fun!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I would consider legal action. The last sentence especially is clearly libel. It not only damages your reputation, but results in loss of donations to the charity.
    Mitzi and Bruno will testify how much fun it is to jump off a dock.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast