S.O.S. I need help

Thread: S.O.S. I need help

QuestionS.O.S. I need help

I have just rescued a 1yr 3month choc lab. He his house trianed and that is it.
    I have a 1yr 4 month yellow lab and a 6 yr old yellow trianed them both from puppies. i don't know what to do with over grown 100lb pup. How do train a 1 yr old lab. His new front yard is 80+ acers and he has a 5 acer lake to swin in and 2 yellow lab brothers and a new little black dog as a sister. Please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Yelladawg - cross post to lab chat or training you will get many more responses. Good Luck.

joflake is offline Senior Member

What a lucky dog he is! Thanks for rescuing him, sounds like you have the perfect place. I'm no expert, but if it was me, I'd train him just like I would a small puppy. Plus tether him to you for a while so he learns some rules.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

Decide what you feel is most important for him to learn and teach him that first. You cannot try to teach everything at once...remember he is going to be very confused at the change in his surrondings.

I think I would work on sit first. That way if he is jumping on you or you are putting down his dinner you can control him.

I agree I certainly would restrict him to the area where you are. And of course a crate for when you cannot watch him.
    Karon and Cinnamon

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Training is similar as with a puppy. lots of short one on one sessions. one thing at a time for the most part (I admit sometimes I pick abit more than one butgage to see how the dog is dealing with that).

The first two are teaching a dog their name, and to look. It's hard to get anywhere without those two things. Then sit, down, stay, come.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

My guess is that training will be a lot easier than you think because your yellows will do most of the training.
    Congratulations on the rescue.
    We need pictures, names, stories.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Training is similar as with a puppy. lots of short one on one sessions. one thing at a time for the most part (I admit sometimes I pick abit more than one butgage to see how the dog is dealing with that).

The first two are teaching a dog their name, and to look. It's hard to get anywhere without those two things. Then sit, down, stay, come.
    Ditto this.

You can teach watch by holding a treat up to your face and saying "Watch" or "Look" or whatever you want your attention word to be. His eyes will follow the treat to your face. Have him hold his gaze there for a moment, then say "Yes!" and give him the treat.

Gradually increase the amount of time you ask him to look at your face. Start slow with just a second or two, and build slowly from there.

Eventually, you will be able to fade the treat and just point to your face and say watch.

It's really a great foundation command, because as Tanya said, you need to have their attention first when issuing any other command.