Deck elbows
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck elbows

DefaultDeck elbows

Any advice for dealing with deck/kennel elbows?

I've tried Neosporin and vet wrap, but the wrap gets chewed to smithereens and the Neosporin is licked off like honey.

My old girl Bessie spends hour upon hour surveying her domain from the vantage point of the deck, and she absolutely refuses to use the myriad of cushions/rugs/blankets/dog beds/Kurundas that I've scattered about in her favorite spots. In fact, she will sprawl down NEXT to said items, but not atop them.

Doggie elbow pads? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Deck elbows

From what I have read, some dogs are just prone to developing callouses on their elbows. They love hard surfaces. If you aren't planning on showing for conformation, it should not cause any problem beyond your view of the subject. The dogs just don't care.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

A few more details - Bessie is a beloved pet who is almost 14. She's a show girl at heart, but we're her only audience.

Her elbow calluses are now turning red and irritated - minor sores - hence, my concern.

She has a vet appt in a week, but I thought I'd see if fellow Lab lovers had any advice...

Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Gordy developed some nasty looking callouses last year after his week stay at the boarding home...he refused to lay in the grass when he was outside after we got home so I kept him inside until his elbows looked better (it was about a month). He likes to lay out on the concrete patio, so I am sure this isn't good for his elbows but I never had a problem but for last year. He is an inside/outside dog.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Libby is the same way, lying out on the deck, but hers aren't that bad and she's not as old. I'll be interested to see what the vet says.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninemiler
    Bessie is a beloved pet who is almost 14. She's a show girl at heart, but we're her only audience.
    I'm sorry I don't have any advice, but that made me smile!

I put pure aloe gel on Bucks, but you can't let her lick it. Rub it in until its totally rubbed in, then break open a vitamin E capsule with a pin and squeeze the oil on it, it is safe if licked. Bucks got better really fast. Do this twice a day.This year we have added an area carpet to the deck which he loves. I have a memory foam mattress pad that i am going to cut up into bed sized shapes for him and cover with a nylon fabric.

You are not alone. Both Trooper and Bailey have the same thing. Bailey has sores on hers. I'm going to try what Bucksmom recommended.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Bag Balm. It is almost pure lanolin. GREASY, but a highly effective emollient. Originally formulated for use on cow udders, it will keep the elbows supple. Won't actually eliminate the callouses already there but will help prevent chapping, cracking, splitting.

You can get it in any drug store, hay/feed store, some groceries. Comes in a pretty emerald green tin.

Seamus and Flynn

Thanks for the advice! I'm heading to the store after work to pick up vitamins and various ointments - per your comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast