leaving puppy alone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: leaving puppy alone

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    32

    Defaultleaving puppy alone

    Unfortunately we do not have someone home all day, is it ok to leave the puppy in a safe room with lots of toys and his crate (crate open), with some newspaper in case he has to go.

    Sometimes this can be for up to 3-4 hours. Is this detrimental to him at this stage (8 weeks)?

    I am probably being paranoid.

    Please advise.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    BauersMom's Avatar
    BauersMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    13,524

    Default

    I would keep him in his crate (with the door shut), and a divider to make sure he doesn't have too much room. If you give him too much room in the crate he will go to the bathroom in there, and I wouldn't want to start that habit. You want the crate to be just big enough that he can stand, and turn around. Dogs won't go to the bathroom where they sleep, so this really helps with house training and teaches him to hold it. I also wouldn't leave him unsupervised with toys. They can easily come apart and become a choking or obstruction hazard.

    I would love to see pictures of him!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.


  4. #3
    justine's Avatar
    justine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,446

    Default

    I would keep him crated, with the divider, as previously mentioned. Bored puppy + a whole room to occupy = chewed up, pooped/peed on stuff.

    Make sure that Charlie gets used to his crate (does he sleep there?) and slowly increase the time that you leave him crated. Crate him for 30 minutes when you're at home, ignore him if he whines/cries. Let him out when he's quiet. Slowly increase it from that and make sure he has stuff to do in his crate when you're gone... frozen Kongs, etc. I would advise not to give him rawhides or anything he can potentially choke on.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    joflake is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,489

    Default

    What they said. In the crate with the door shut will help him learn to hold his bladder. The older he gets, the longer he can hold it.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    I would keep him in his crate (with the door shut), and a divider to make sure he doesn't have too much room. If you give him too much room in the crate he will go to the bathroom in there, and I wouldn't want to start that habit. You want the crate to be just big enough that he can stand, and turn around. Dogs won't go to the bathroom where they sleep, so this really helps with house training and teaches him to hold it. I also wouldn't leave him unsupervised with toys. They can easily come apart and become a choking or obstruction hazard.

    I would love to see pictures of him!




    Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    I would keep him crated, with the divider, as previously mentioned. Bored puppy + a whole room to occupy = chewed up, pooped/peed on stuff.

    Make sure that Charlie gets used to his crate (does he sleep there?) and slowly increase the time that you leave him crated. Crate him for 30 minutes when you're at home, ignore him if he whines/cries. Let him out when he's quiet. Slowly increase it from that and make sure he has stuff to do in his crate when you're gone... frozen Kongs, etc. I would advise not to give him rawhides or anything he can potentially choke on.
    Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    What they said. In the crate with the door shut will help him learn to hold his bladder. The older he gets, the longer he can hold it.
    So instead of leaving him in his room we should leave him in his crate, even though he is not that familiar with it quite yet? We've been working on getting him in there, but he never stays for long.

  8. #6
    Samson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    21,293

    Default

    Dawwwwww

    did i say Dawwww

    I meant Dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

  9. #7
    joflake is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,489

    Default

    OMG he's adorable! I just want to snatch him up! I'd get him in the crate now. I think the longer you wait the harder it will be. Do you put him in there at night?

  10. #8
    Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario
    Posts
    21,482

    Default

    Charlie is adorable.

  11. #9
    jzgrlduff's Avatar
    jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    44,122

    Default

    He is beautiful!!!!!

    Like the others said, you should crate him. Make it a positive experience for him right away. Feed him in there, door closed, but then let him right out when he's done. Buy a Kong and put some plain yogurt in it, cover the ends with lowfat peanut butter and freeze it overnight. Give it to him in the crate before you leave.





    ______________
    ~Amy
    Califon, NJ
    Hunterdon County
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

  12. #10
    lkb987's Avatar
    lkb987 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    What they said. In the crate with the door shut will help him learn to hold his bladder. The older he gets, the longer he can hold it.
    That is true. Just make sure that when you leave the puppy inside the crate, there are lots of interesting toys that he loves!
    Hope all goes well,
    Laura




    Liy Chelsea Blinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Leaving for the Outer Banks tomorrow.
    By georgie in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 10:29 PM
  2. Anyone else hate leaving for work?
    By Ninemiler in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 10:31 AM
  3. Dylan will be leaving the twins behind
    By Samson in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 05:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25