leaving puppy alone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaving puppy alone

Defaultleaving puppy alone

Unfortunately we do not have someone home all day, is it ok to leave the puppy in a safe room with lots of toys and his crate (crate open), with some newspaper in case he has to go.

Sometimes this can be for up to 3-4 hours. Is this detrimental to him at this stage (8 weeks)?

I am probably being paranoid.

Please advise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I would keep him in his crate (with the door shut), and a divider to make sure he doesn't have too much room. If you give him too much room in the crate he will go to the bathroom in there, and I wouldn't want to start that habit. You want the crate to be just big enough that he can stand, and turn around. Dogs won't go to the bathroom where they sleep, so this really helps with house training and teaches him to hold it. I also wouldn't leave him unsupervised with toys. They can easily come apart and become a choking or obstruction hazard.

I would love to see pictures of him!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

justine is offline Senior Member

I would keep him crated, with the divider, as previously mentioned. Bored puppy + a whole room to occupy = chewed up, pooped/peed on stuff.

Make sure that Charlie gets used to his crate (does he sleep there?) and slowly increase the time that you leave him crated. Crate him for 30 minutes when you're at home, ignore him if he whines/cries. Let him out when he's quiet. Slowly increase it from that and make sure he has stuff to do in his crate when you're gone... frozen Kongs, etc. I would advise not to give him rawhides or anything he can potentially choke on.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

What they said. In the crate with the door shut will help him learn to hold his bladder. The older he gets, the longer he can hold it.

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    I would keep him in his crate (with the door shut), and a divider to make sure he doesn't have too much room. If you give him too much room in the crate he will go to the bathroom in there, and I wouldn't want to start that habit. You want the crate to be just big enough that he can stand, and turn around. Dogs won't go to the bathroom where they sleep, so this really helps with house training and teaches him to hold it. I also wouldn't leave him unsupervised with toys. They can easily come apart and become a choking or obstruction hazard.

I would love to see pictures of him!

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    I would keep him crated, with the divider, as previously mentioned. Bored puppy + a whole room to occupy = chewed up, pooped/peed on stuff.

Make sure that Charlie gets used to his crate (does he sleep there?) and slowly increase the time that you leave him crated. Crate him for 30 minutes when you're at home, ignore him if he whines/cries. Let him out when he's quiet. Slowly increase it from that and make sure he has stuff to do in his crate when you're gone... frozen Kongs, etc. I would advise not to give him rawhides or anything he can potentially choke on.
    Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    What they said. In the crate with the door shut will help him learn to hold his bladder. The older he gets, the longer he can hold it.
    So instead of leaving him in his room we should leave him in his crate, even though he is not that familiar with it quite yet? We've been working on getting him in there, but he never stays for long.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Dawwwwww

did i say Dawwww

I meant Dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

joflake is offline Senior Member

OMG he's adorable! I just want to snatch him up! I'd get him in the crate now. I think the longer you wait the harder it will be. Do you put him in there at night?

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Charlie is adorable.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

He is beautiful!!!!!

Like the others said, you should crate him. Make it a positive experience for him right away. Feed him in there, door closed, but then let him right out when he's done. Buy a Kong and put some plain yogurt in it, cover the ends with lowfat peanut butter and freeze it overnight. Give it to him in the crate before you leave.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

lkb987 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    That is true. Just make sure that when you leave the puppy inside the crate, there are lots of interesting toys that he loves!
    Hope all goes well,
    Laura

Liy Chelsea Blinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast