If you Board your Dog...

Thread: If you Board your Dog...

momofalab is offline Senior Member

DefaultIf you Board your Dog...

Is the place you board at Clean and Odor free? This will be the first time I board Pitch since we moved. We use to board him with our Breeder, but she lives to far away now.

I called a place to board Pitch yesterday. They invited me over to come see their place before making a final decision on choosing them. This place is like a mansion for dogs! She has 3 levels of boarding...with the top level being the dog gets his own daybed, TV, in a private suite.

I pulled up outside, and the place is well maintained. I walked into the kennel, and you don't hear the dogs barking, and there is no smell of dog in the place. She walked me throught the different locations in the area. There were dogs there, yes barking when we approached, but overall, seemed very normal. I couldn't get over the fact that it didn't have any smell to it. It wasn't like, OMG, someone is coming to see our place, lets hurry up and clean. It was immaculate, not even cobwebs hanging out. I loved my last kennel, I feel they were very clean also. Yet you could smell dog. Not so much urine, but "Dog Smell". Nothing that would stear me away from them mind you.

Also, a positive, they made me sign a medical form. and to leave them a Credit card # if God forbid something happens to my dog, they have my permission to take the dog to their vet. Which just so happens is my vet. I had to come up with a dollar figure they could use, incase they couldn't reach me. I found it very hard to place a $$ figure on my dogs care. I hope they don't need to use it.

They live on the premisses. Althought was a bit more expensive than other Kennels in the area, I was happy they pay attention to the little details you might not get at all kennels.

We will see how much fun he has when he goes in a couple of weeks. Will only be for the long holiday weekend.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Our boarding facility is probably cleaner than my house - which is saying a lot! Our daycare also is spotless and odor free.

Sounds like you found a good place for Pitch. It's so important to be comfortable with where you have to leave them when you do have to leave them.

Samson is offline Senior Member

My friend boards her dogs - no high level boarding mind you with TVs and the like but they always come back smelling "doggie" ! Only lasts for 24 hours but still !

Funniest thing is that Murphy likes to bark and he is in barking kennels to such an extent that he comes back a little hoarse - sounds like a seal ! Sooo funny

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

We board our dogs when necessary at our DDC. It's clean and odor free. They also have those levels of boarding.

dweck is offline Senior Member

Wesley plays hard at the kennel. I always schedule him for a bath before he comes home because if I don't, he smells like a horse.

And he's exhausted when he comes home. I'm actually wondering if I should re-think the kennel for him, at 9 y.o..... Or maybe cut down on the playtime? This past vacation, last week, he DRAGGED himself in the house and sacked out for hours upon arriving home. Maybe too much play? Or too much heat?

In either case, I was starting to worry............

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Melissa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck View Post
    Wesley plays hard at the kennel. I always schedule him for a bath before he comes home because if I don't, he smells like a horse.

And he's exhausted when he comes home. I'm actually wondering if I should re-think the kennel for him, at 9 y.o..... Or maybe cut down on the playtime? This past vacation, last week, he DRAGGED himself in the house and sacked out for hours upon arriving home. Maybe too much play? Or too much heat?

In either case, I was starting to worry............
    I worry about Otis too. We actually tell them just to take him for walks during his scheduled "play" time. The heat in the summer, the hard floors...

We either bathe Kacey and Otis when we get home or have them bathed there before we pick them up. That said, the place we go to now is light-years different than where they used to go. Our old kennel was in the middle of cornfields and down a dirt/gravel road, if Otis didn't have a bath after (Kacey never went there), you couldn't stand to be around him. The new place, if we're pressed for time, we can actually wait the next day or so for their baths.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

justine is offline Senior Member

The kennel I work at is very clean, too. It has to be. But we have some stinky, STINKY dogs that can stink up the whole place. We disinfect every occupied run every day, if not more if they make a mess, and we bleach after each dog has left.

Three levels of dogs..

momofalab is offline Senior Member

As much as I would of loved to give him His own Daybed, and TV Option, I just couldn't see him getting much out of the animal planet! I had to chuckle, I know a lot of you sleep with your dogs, but this seemed a bit extreme. Pitch will have the comfy blanket on the floor for his visit. He will have to TVO his favorite programs before we leave, and catch up on them when we return.

-Shannon