Just out of Curiosity 2, How many with a Golden and a Lab?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just out of Curiosity 2, How many with a Golden and a Lab?

blacktri99 is offline Member

DefaultJust out of Curiosity 2, How many with a Golden and a Lab?

Another thread kind of inspired this one,
    How many of the lab owners on this forum also have Goldens?

How are the personalities of the 2 the same and different?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Quite a few of us, actually! I'll reply later about the differences, busy at work right now!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

We had Brooklyn, our Golden, first. She was just 2 when we got Remy. All the things we were expecting from our research on a puppy Golden were the same as the issues you deal with a puppy Lab. They just never really manifested. Remy however...typical Lab puppy. Brooklyn mellowed right a 1 year. Didn't need to be crated...zoomies stopped...chewing stopped and interest in toys waned. She's from a show dog line so a lot of the retriever appears to be bred right out of her. She's beautiful...but ask her to fetch and she'll look at you like "Why?" And no interest in going in the water...she HATES to get her tail wet. Oh, and she doesn't really bark. But she's a very sweet cuddly loving girl. Easy to train, very smart, very attentive.

Remy, at 1 1/2 is still very much puppy. Kind of the equivalent of Brooklyn at 6 months. Loves water. Loves to fetch. High energy. No cuddling. He sheds 100 times worse than the Golden on a daily basis. She blows her coat twice a year, but other than that she keeps her fur on her head. He barks. He's overexcitable. He's still being crated. But he's very attentive. He gets distracted and impatient sometimes.

They both get along pretty well. They chase and tussle. I think more because of the age difference and the energy levels Brooklyn gets testy with Remy more often than not. But they are a great pair!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bacsibob is offline Senior Member

We had a golden (Max) who was 6 when we got him. Huge dog; 36" tall at shoulder and 120 lbs. He was very bright and the only issues we had involved greeting anyone with a shoe in his mouth and thunderstorms. Max was 7 when we got a black Lab puppy (Abby) and she was he[[ on wheels. Max let her sit, sleep, crawl and chew on him. He would would wait until she finished eating before he would go to his dish. Fantastic big brother.

Max passed in Oct. '07 at 12 and we all grieved the loss of a wonderful friend.

I said in another thread that goldens are hippie labs.

Labs: The Natural Antidepressant

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

We got our Golden 2 1/2 years after getting our lab. The reason we only went with a different breed was in case a new lab was cuter.

Harper doesn't shed near as much, and is much more laid back. I often thing he is a little light upstairs, but maybe he's smarter than I think. He lets the lab do all the barking/protect property issues (work) while he handles all the chase the squirrels etc...

Oh - and he must greet you at the door with something in his mouth.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

used to...my first long time furry friends was a golden female and a black lab male. They were a year apart and died within 9 months of each other. That was tough.
    I also had a golden/lab mix who was a real sweet heart. She had a lot of health issues, though.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

We do. Our Golden is the happiest most loving velcro dog EVER!! Our Lab is great too but more hard headed!!

blacktri99 is offline Member

LOL,
    I have a Golden/Lab Mix who by looking at him he appears all Golden, who is 13 months old, and then I have a 5 month old Lab, who is all Lab with the whahoo mentality, They seem to get along together really well, and I just wanted to see if others had the same experence as I do.

Jim

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

My last two dogs were a lab and a golden. I found my golden to be much softer (in training) than my lab. Golden was also more shy and had many more medical problems.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

We had a golden before our lab, and Reggie (golden) was much more loyal to us. He loved us above everything else in the world, where Bauer (lab) wants to be everyone's friend. When we are home he follows me everywhere, and has to be touching me at all times; but if someone new comes over . . . "Sorry, I really love you mom . . . but look at my new friend." Reggie was always a little shier around new people and clung more. Both are/were smart, easy to train, and very eager to please. Our golden shedded much worse than our lab.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast