How long do you give the cold shoulder?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long do you give the cold shoulder?

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow long do you give the cold shoulder?

Last night was the first time I really Really reprimanded Remy. He chewed the corner of a coffee table book. He was scolded loudly and angrily. Forced into a down. I growled at him to show my displeasure. He looked properly ashamed.

Well, then a few minutes later he poked is head into the tv room and I looked away from him. Then he came towards me and stopped...and gave a little tentative tail wag. I looked at him and told him to come. He came closer and sat in front of me. I explained to him once again that he can't chew on the books. (Yes, I know. He's a dog, but I wanted him to hear my stern voice)

He then put his chin down on my knee looking up at me ever so remorsefully. Sigh...I went to reach for him and he backed away skittishly. So I got down on the floor and cooed at him and he came over and we had a belly rub.

So...did I give in too quickly? How long do you give your dog the cold shoulder? That hang dog face was just more than I could stand!!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you lasted about as long as I do. Rush is the one who breaks my heart with that awww mom, I'm sorry look. She wears her heart on her sleave like I do so I don't usually give her the cold shoulder for long. It sinks into her brain very quickly and I don't usually have to repeat a scolding. However Boo, I can do the cold shoulder for a year and she doesn't pay any attention to me doing it. Now if daddy does it, she practically turns herself inside out trying to make up.

lisa is offline Senior Member

You held out as long as most of us can, that sad "i am so sorry look" is too cute for me to be mad for long. Got to love them

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I don't last long either - but I also buy into the idea that the dog doesn't remember the incident and just doesn't understand the unusual behaviour from the human.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I think you did fine. I believe that they know when they do wrong, and I believe that scolding on discovery does help reinforce that it was not acceptable. I don't know that anyone knows how long they remember what it was they are being yelled at for. Personally I do not believe it is that long. On the other hand, when I being out the earwash bottle, HK remembers that she doesn't like that thing even though it has been months since the last time.

I bet BobPr can comment on this.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Not very long because I'm not sure how long they remember the evil deed is the cause of cold shoulder,or exactly when the sad face is just because of the cold shoulder. Sometimes they have this sad look which makes me feel guilty for even scolding them.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Did you catch him chewing on the book? If not then your "reprimand" was for nothing, and that "shame" you saw was actually fear.

Even if you did catch him in the act I would be willing to bet loads of money that the "shame" was still just plain old fear, judging by his reaction to you reaching for him later.

To answer your question, because dogs don't think anywhere near the same way we do, I don't do the "cold shoulder". I don't generally use positive punishment, but on the few occasions I have, it's over the second it's over and we move on.
    Last edited by Baloo317; 08-20-2009 at 12:34 PM.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    Did you catch him chewing on the book? If not then your "reprimand" was for nothing, and that "shame" you saw was actually fear.

Even if you did catch him in the act I would be willing to bet loads of money that the "shame" was still just plain old fear.

To answer your question, because dogs don't think anywhere near the same way we do, I don't do the "cold shoulder". I don't generally use positive punishment, but on the few occasions I have, it's over the second it's over and we move on.
    I DID catch him in the act. This is the 2nd time he's been caught doing this exact same thing. Last time my husband was so furious he crated him, but I don't think Remy made the connection. That's why I reprimanded him on the spot next to the item with the command "Leave it"

And I'm sure I scared him. I hardly ever yell at him. He's a big thief and we do a lot of trading for kibble in our household for stolen items. We mainly focus on positive reinforcement ourselves, but this was an instance that needed negative consequences.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    Not very long because I'm not sure how long they remember the evil deed is the cause of cold shoulder,or exactly when the sad face is just because of the cold shoulder. Sometimes they have this sad look which makes me feel guilty for even scolding them.

exactly. unless you catch them in the act; they don't really understand. they might know that mom is in a way bad mood and seems to be mad at me, but what did i do...i need to be real quiet and look away or go away to make her feel better. i've yelled outloud while cleaning up a pee accident but they just know i'm really pissed at that floor and they better get out of it's way. unless you catch them...no cold shoulder here...i just say mommy is mad; really really mad. lol

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

He's young, and a lab. If he's still "chewy" then maybe he's not ready to be uncrated and unsupervised?

Or perhaps coffee table books need to go in an out-of-reach place until he's more reliable?

If Baloo chews something, I don't think "how can I punish him so that he knows not to do that?" I think OK, how can I prevent this from happening again? (which for him is more puppy-proofing + more exercise).
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast