Shock Collar
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shock Collar

sapper3121 is offline Member

DefaultShock Collar

I want to know what peoples views on using a shock collar for obedience training and keeping keeping them from running after people and other dogs. I bought a shock collar that I never use, but sometimes when sapper isn't listening I will put it on and walk him around the yard. teaching him what his boundaries are. He is really good but he loves people so it takes more self control than he has sometimes to stay in the yard I can call him away most of the time, but sometimes a quick shock is in order. I have only shocked him like 3 times usually the beep is more then enough to stop him in his tracks. So back to the subject what is your view on shock collars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

DefaultRe: Shock Collar

Pretty simple really. Put it around your own neck, shock yourself with it & see how you like it. Then put yourself in your dogs position. I think that should answer your question without a doubt.

In my view, these things are barbaric & cruel along with any other device that punishes a dog in the name of 'training'. There are more effective & humane ways of training a dog than these things. How do you expect to get positive results from the dog if every time he sees you coming with that collar, he knows that he's going to get punished without even knowing why?.

I suggest you seek the help of a professional dog trainer if you're having problems & preferably one who doesn't resort to these methods. I have owned multiple breeds of dogs for over 40 years, never resorted to this type of 'training' & never will.

Ditto what garthc said. Don't like 'em, never used 'em, never will.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I would not use it the same way you are; but I do use an e-collar for retriever training after going through collar-conditioning.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You are using one for completely the wrong reason. You can teach your dog to come back to you when called without the use of an electric collar. It just takes time, hard work and a lot of repetition. Otherwise, you are relying on aversive training techniques and it could very easily backfire on you. The only reason Sapper will not go after people and other dogs while loose in your yard is because he is afraid of getting shocked.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I don't have one and have never used one, but from what I have read, they can be a great training tool when used properly. The reason I don't have one is that I don't know how to use it and don't know anyone to train me in how to use it properly. I don't want to screw up my dogs, so I use other methods, primarily positive reinforcement.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    I would not use it the same way you are; but I do use an e-collar for retriever training after going through collar-conditioning.
    Same here, but wanted to add that I did strap it to my leg and "test drive" it before I put it anywhere near my dog.

How old is the dog we're talking about?

Dani is offline Senior Member

How about training him the good old fashioned way? I use mine for field training and went through a very lengthy process of collar conditioning. It is used for stuff that they already know. You are using it for the wrong reasons.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper
    Ditto what garthc said. Don't like 'em, never used 'em, never will.
    Ditto. It'll be a cold day in hell before I deliver an electric shock to my dogs neck, for any purpose. I don't think you can really compare a leg to a neck, in order to truly "test drive" an ecollar, you'd need to go ahead and strap it around your neck.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Garth is offline Registered Users

sapper3121 , I've just re read your OP (I shouldn't do this stuff in the middle of the night). :sleepy: There seems to be some confusion re how often you're using this collar. First you said:

I bought a shock collar that I never use,
    Then you go on to say:

but sometimes a quick shock is in order. I have only shocked him like 3 times usually the beep is more then enough to stop him in his tracks.
    The point is, if you're confused about how, when & why you're using it, imagine how confused the dog must be?.

I'm not having a go at you. I'm just concerned for the dog. Just thinking about this type of training method makes me shudder. :vomit:

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast