My dad just told me a scary story about a friend of ours and his lab. So Saturday a family friend of ours was outside playing paintball with a few others on the 17 acres and they had a picnic table set up with some chips and other food for after they finished. During the game, our family friend went to the picnic table to get a drink and luckily he did. When he got back, their lab had a Doritos bag on his head and was on the ground, not breathing. :scare: He quickly ran over, took the bag off and actually gave the dog CPR.. After a few worried breaths, he came back to life!
I don't know the entire story, or why the dog was just wandering around next to open food bags, but he's safe and living, nonetheless! Poor doggie!
Scary! Glad the dog is okay. I have a friend with a 14 year old Old English Sheepdog. He noticed the dof haviing trouble breathing and rushed her to the eVet. By the time he got their her tongue was purple. The two flaps in her throat were paralyzed and her airway was closed. After bringing her around, I don't know all that was involved, they sewed one of the flaps open so she could breath. No he has all kinds of special precautions to take with her. No swimming is the big penalty for her. She loves the water.
Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.
I know someone's dog that did die because of this. I now open both sides of the bag before they get thrown out.
♣ Laura ♣
The same thing happened to a friend of mines chocolate lab puppy, but sadly Tina didnt find him in time, and the poor little guy did pass away. It also was because of a chip bag.
How sad! I would have never thought about something like this happening.
Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
Kiana YL 5/2006
Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
**Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
*Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*
LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.
Yikes!!!!thanks for that tip Laura, I know my girls would go after a bag of empty chips if given the chance.Originally Posted by labby
~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)
Sammi also, thanks so much for posting this!Originally Posted by AbbyandMolly
Thanks for the tip, with a Lab's appetite you never know what they might eat.
Wow. That is scary. Thank goodness they got to him in time.
This serves as a good reminder.
Wow, glad the big lug is okay. I know any of mine would do the same thing...going after food I mean.
I'll definitely remember to open both ends of the bag from now on. Thanks, Laura.
<br />My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained!