Anyones lab constantly scratching?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyones lab constantly scratching?

JustineNYC Guest

DefaultAnyones lab constantly scratching?

I noticed when it got warmer Molly started to scratch more, particularly her belly. Shes got alot of dandruff on her back and belly too. The vet had given me medicated shampoo a few months ago because he noticed it. I was bathing her every other week like he said.....but i dont think its doing anything.

Anyone else have scratchers? Im sure its not fleas....How can I soothe her?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anyones lab constantly scratching?

All my dogs are scratching like crazy and it's not fleas, and it's not their food.
    I think it's the dirt and grass that makes them itch... contact dermatitis.
    I'm considering the Listerine + water rinse to wipe them down with... see if that helps.

Seamus and Flynn

joflake is offline Senior Member

The reason I started reading this forum was because Willy scratched constantly and I was looking for help. The vet really didn't help all that much. They wanted to just use medicated shampoo and prednisone. I did that at first, but it got worse. I hate giving prednisone. I'm so afraid what it will do to them in the long run. So I quit that. As for the medicated shampoo, it didn't work for me and I really think bathing them that often is going to dry them out more. Finally, through a lot of trial and error and reading on here, I switched to a premium dog food, started giving fish oil capsules and quit bathing him. That seemed to do the trick. Now that the weather is warmer they both have been scratching just a little, but I think it is from being out rolling in the grass. Even though they get flea medicine the fleas are still in the grass, they just don't stay on the dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Does she get any fish Justine?

Baloo has fish night once a week, but I still add fish body oil (along with some vitamin E) to his food on all other days, and that seems to help.

He's not too bad, and is actually getting better with the warmer weather (I'll probably cut out the oil soon for the summer), but his dryness was because the heating system in here sucks, and totally dries out the air. I have dry skin all through the colder months and so does Dan, and the pets do too. I REALLY need a good humidifier for next year.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

Sigh...the joys of spring allergies in your dogs. I have an allergy suffering Golden and have a few tips:

Dogs manifest allergies different from humans....where we sniffle and sneeze - they itch. All the pollen floating about may be the cause of your pup's itchies. If you think that may be the case...

1) Talk to your doctor about giving your dog Benadryl. Rule of thumb is 1mg per pound of dog 2-3 times a day. It takes a week or so of taking it regularly for it to build up in their system. Talk to your vet about this option and dosage. (There are also other prescription medications OTHER than steroids that are available. My Golden is currently surviving with reduced itching on something called Hydroxizine)

2) Bathe once or twice weekly to get the pollen off your dog...and wipe down after long periods of being outside...especially paws.

3) Clean bedding and stuffy toys to get any pollen off.

4) Vacuum regularly.

Hope this helps...

Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317

Baloo has fish night once a week, but I still add fish body oil (along with some vitamin E) to his food on all other days, and that seems to help.

He's not too bad, and is actually getting better with the warmer weather (I'll probably cut out the oil soon for the summer), but his dryness was because the heating system in here sucks, and totally dries out the air. I have dry skin all through the colder months and so does Dan, and the pets do too. I REALLY need a good humidifier for next year.
    Remember my thread about her puking the mackeral? She had whiting once after that and now the fish market hasnt had it....so no. I wonder if its gotten worse because of lack of fish and not the warm weather because both kind of happened simultaneously?

What do you buy, fish oil tablets?

I was just at the vet yesterday for scratching. Rocket's a creme colored yellow lab with light skin - my vet says that makes him more prone (whatever). Anyway, he's definitely allergic to something. Vet thinks it's the stuff in the air, I think it might be the cat. Either way, he's scratching mostly on his ears (no infection, fungus or mites present).

So, he's on 50mg Benadryl 2-3 x day now, and I'm treating it with caladryl lotion, which I'm hoping will help so I don't have to keep giving him the Benadryl.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustineNYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317

Remember my thread about her puking the mackeral? She had whiting once after that and now the fish market hasnt had it....so no. I wonder if its gotten worse because of lack of fish and not the warm weather because both kind of happened simultaneously?

What do you buy, fish oil tablets?
    Actually I got sick of having to stab the caplets open, so I just have herring oil in a squirty bottle now.

There are lots of places that sell the like, I think even petsmart has a fish oil squirty bottle thingy. Just stay away from cod liver oil, the rest are game.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustineNYC
    ...Remember my thread about her puking the mackeral? She had whiting once after that and now the fish market hasnt had it....so no...
    How about canned sardines? Caleb gets a can (in water) once a week. More for a treat than anything.

...What do you buy, fish oil tablets?
    Someone I work with buys them right at the grocery store in the vitamin/supplement aisle.

Aimee is offline Senior Member

My Schatzi isn't a lab, but she definitely has seasonal allergies. When Spring hit, she was scratching and biting at herself like crazy. Benadryl has really helped a lot - I started giving it 3x per day and now have her down to 2x, and the dosage is 1mg per lb bodyweight. I started her on fish oil, and I bathe her every week or two. I brush her every night and wipe her down with baby wipes frequently. She's fine now - nothing more than the occasional itch. Hope your dog's feeling better soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast