Is this unusual? (tooth question)

Thread: Is this unusual? (tooth question)

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs this unusual? (tooth question)

Bruno has a "double" front tooth. It looks like a single tooth at the base. Is it anything to worry about? I'll ask the vet at the next visit. (Sorry about the blurry picture.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is this unusual? (tooth question)

Not a vet, not a dentist, not a breeder, not an expert. But HK has had her share of dental issues and did some research. What your pictures shows is one of many different relatively common malformations. A Lab should have 6 upper incisors. Ican't telll for sure from the picture, but it looks like four and one of them being the tooth you are questioning. Can you tell if the tooth is split, or just malformed. If they are baby teeth, I am not sure my numbers would be correct, I wouldn't worry about it. If they are adult teeth, I would make sure the vets attention was taken to them. Worst case, they will pull it. Bruno won't miss it. HK has no upper incisors and could care less.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

VERY kewl!!

It could either be:

1. fusion: two developing teeth merge into one tooth; these teeth may be joined by the enamel only, or by dentin only, or both.

2. gemination: developing tooth splits into two teeth; these teeth will often have a shared pulp and root.

How can you tell the difference? If the number of teeth is normal, it's fusion. If the number of teeth is not normal, it's gemination.

From your pic, it looks like Bruno has 4 incisors, with one split (where there should be 6) so my guess would be gemination (with one still missing incisor).

Very kewl... I've seen quite a few human patients with this sort of thing as well. Usually only in baby teeth though, I've not yet seen fusion/gemination in the adult dentition!

PS. Are these Bruno's adult teeth?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Are these Bruno's adult teeth?
    Yes, he's almost ten months old. I believe the six teeth in the pic are all incisors. Not showing, are two very long teeth (canines?) which are on the outside of the lower teeth touching the top when the mouth is closed.
    After your posts, I compared Mitzi's, Judy's, and Duke's teeth and they all look the same as Bruno's except for that one tooth that is split. So it must be gemination; it looks like the split goes into a single root.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Interesting. I've never ssen anything like that before (of course I haven't looked too closely at many other dogs' teeth).

Bella

If those longer teeth in your pic are Bruno's incisors, then he in fact does have a geminated tooth! VERY kewl!

(I just checked Henry's teeth and his upper 3rd incisors are longer too. Never noticed it before!! Neat!)