Ducks, Geese, and non-hunting labs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ducks, Geese, and non-hunting labs

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultDucks, Geese, and non-hunting labs

I don't even know if it makes sense to ask. Some may know that I take Hershey Kisses for her walks to a nearby wetland that has a trail through it. Well, spring is here, at least the Mallards and Canada geese think so. HK has found them to be fascinating. They grab her total focus, bouncing, stalking, and finally the race to see if she can get to those darn things before they fly off.

I kind of decided she will never catch one, so no physical harm done to the birds.
    She gets a nice run out of it and loves the stalk and chase.
    I have not been attempting recall until after they have flown, I don't want to break the success on recall that I have had.

So the questions,

Am I doing anything wrong relative to letting HK have this treat of play?
    Am I doing anything wrong relative to general training philosophy with her and the birds?
    Is there something I should be working on since this opportunity presents itself almost daily?

TIA
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ducks, Geese, and non-hunting labs

I kind of decided she will never catch one, so no physical harm done to the birds.
    I would not let her do that. It might be fun for the two of you, but not fun for the birds. They are being chased, they don't know if HK can catch them or not. She is a predator to them. They'll probably have chicks soon, don't make them abandon their nests because they learn that the area is not safe since they get harassed by dogs. Not only that, don't get any more ammunition to the animal rights nuts.

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

The other thing is that you need to make sure that you can call HK back or make HK stay 100% for sure if HK see's birds. There was a case where I live just the other day where a persons dog decided to chase after birds that were on a partially frozen river and you guessed it the dog fell through.

I'd personally nip it in the bud.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    The other thing is that you need to make sure that you can call HK back or make HK stay 100% for sure if HK see's birds. There was a case where I live just the other day where a persons dog decided to chase after birds that were on a partially frozen river and you guessed it the dog fell through.

Sorry im gonna hijack for a moment and ask a question! How would you nip it in the bud? I have this exact same problem except alfie does chase them and will not listen until he thinks he can get no further plus the fact im not close enough to him to grab him Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    I would not let her do that. It might be fun for the two of you, but not fun for the birds. They are being chased, they don't know if HK can catch them or not. She is a predator to them. They'll probably have chicks soon, don't make them abandon their nests because they learn that the area is not safe since they get harassed by dogs. Not only that, don't get any more ammunition to the animal rights nuts.
    That might have talked me out of it.

That coupled with being stopped by the park 'police' last Friday. Seems there has been complaints about off lead dogs loose, harassing and attacking people and kids. According to the officer, he was sure that HK and I were one of the offenders identified based on the description of her and myself. I am pretty sure I know who complained. A woman that is deathly afraid of dogs. I tried to get her to pet HK while I held her in a sit position with my arm around her neck. This woman literally screamed at the suggestion. Anyway, during the whole conversation with the officer, HK sat at my side until I asked the officer if he would mind HK sniffing around his pant legs. He was fine with it, and HK did her wiggle butt, tail wag thing while checking him out. Officer, with a smile on his face said, 'This dog is obviously vicious and a threat to the public.' We have to have control of our pets, either voice or lead. Leashes are not required other than in areas of the parks where play structures for kids are set up.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf

Sorry im gonna hijack for a moment and ask a question! How would you nip it in the bud? I have this exact same problem except alfie does chase them and will not listen until he thinks he can get no further plus the fact im not close enough to him to grab him Any suggestions?
    You can stop it, but it is a secondary result. Be clear that I am no expert. I have worked on recall with HK since the day we brought her home in March of 07. Everyday to this very day. She has excellent recall. I can call her back from a rabbit or deer chase. Something I care about because I don't know where they will lead her (i. e. across streets) I am sure I can stop the Geese/Duck chasing, assuming that I start now. I just wasn't concerned about it because there are no roads there, and they will fly off.

I want to thank those that replied for setting my head straight. Looks like HK is going to have to let those birds be.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile

You can stop it, but it is a secondary result. Be clear that I am no expert. I have worked on recall with HK since the day we brought her home in March of 07. Everyday to this very day. She has excellent recall. I can call her back from a rabbit or deer chase. Something I care about because I don't know where they will lead her (i. e. across streets) I am sure I can stop the Geese/Duck chasing, assuming that I start now. I just wasn't concerned about it because there are no roads there, and they will fly off.

I want to thank those that replied for setting my head straight. Looks like HK is going to have to let those birds be.
    Im working like a nutter on recall but its still not 100% he drives me nuts sometimes he really does lol

Kathryn Guest

Id be careful about letting her go after them. Here in Wyoming Game and Fish see a dog taking after a wild animal they will shoot the pet dead on the spot..
    Jaceys afraid of them.. Dakota will take after them. So Dakota gets leashed..

kaytris is offline Senior Member

You need to set it up so that he has no choice. Get a long line and make sure he will come, even if you have to reel him. Reward any come initially, even those you've had to 'create', and use a special high-value treat he doesn't get any other time, and 9 times out of 10, let him go explore after each recall.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris

You need to set it up so that he has no choice. Get a long line and make sure he will come, even if you have to reel him. Reward any come initially, even those you've had to 'create', and use a special high-value treat he doesn't get any other time, and 9 times out of 10, let him go explore after each recall.
    I always let him go play after recall and use treats such as cheese, fresh cooked lamb and without distraction he does it but with he is a monster, im def going to use long line and in his classes soon now the nights are lighter we are doing distance work in her field. Bring it on! and sorry ed for highjacking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast