Programs to care for pets after owner's death

Thread: Programs to care for pets after owner's death

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultPrograms to care for pets after owner's death

A JL member asked me if the CollVetMed at Kansas State Univ. has a program to place and care for an owner's pet after the death of the owner/caretaker. She said she understood Purdue's CVM does and, knowing I take Puff to KSU, wondered if they do also.

So I asked and they do.

Below are the quick details -- far too expensive for me (for Puff) but I thought others might be interested in this issue.

For a bequest of $25,000 (minimum, no max) per pet, KSU-CVM gets an extensive biography on the pet, temperament, habits, foods, health, routines, treatment & meds, etc., situations in which it does best and worse, etc.

Then they will place the pet in a situation they find most compatible.

ALL health care is guaranteed for the life of the pet, regardless of the state in which the pet is placed or lives.

The healthcare expenses come out of the $25k bequest (and the endowment fund if more is needed) and if any of the $25k is left over after the pet is deceased, that remainder is put into KSU's CVM endowment fund to be used in whatever categories the donor has pre-selected -- e.g., scholarships for vet students, research in particular vet areas, informational programs, etc.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Interesting... didn't know they did that!

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Interesting, but WOW, that's expensive.

Bella

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

good LORD that's a crazy price but a great idea

I've had a few animals left to me over the years - I should be charging apparently
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I think if you donated a big chunk of money to your local rescue, they would gladly take your pet and find it a good home as well. Probably would not included life long medical care for the pet, but you'd at least know the pet got another chance at a good home.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

The rescue I got Nellie from keeps ownership of all dogs they adopt out. If something should happen to me they will take Nellie in and make sure she gets a good home.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

AZLAB is offline Senior Member

The price sounds high but then I think about I increased my life insurance $50,000 when I got Cinnamon and added a addenumn to my will stating it was to be set up in a trust to be used for her care because you don't know how many years the dog may out live you. I am lucky to have family that would take her but the money makes it so they don't have that worry.
    Karon and Cinnamon