Dudley Questions
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dudley Questions

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultDudley Questions

Is there a post somewhere in the archives that talks about Dudleys? How can I find it. Just a generic need for information. Ran into someone that started asking questions.

Can they be registered?
    Is it a fault that disqualifies from conformation?
    Is the probability of Dudley pups increased if a Dudley bitch is bred?
    Is the fault anything more than a pigmentation fault? Is the Dudley prone to any additional health risk?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I'm sure there's a link somewhere, but I can answer a couple of your questions.

Can they be registered? Yes

Is it a fault that disqualifies from conformation? Yes

Is the probability of Dudley pups increased if a Dudley bitch is bred? I believe so, but why breed a dog with a disqualify fault, unless it's a proven/titled field dog.

Is the fault anything more than a pigmentation fault? Is the Dudley prone to any additional health risk? As far as I know, dudleys don't have any more health issues than Labs with normal pigment.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    I'm sure there's a link somewhere, but I can answer a couple of your questions.

Can they be registered? Yes

Is it a fault that disqualifies from conformation? Yes

Is the probability of Dudley pups increased if a Dudley bitch is bred? I believe so, but why breed a dog with a disqualify fault, unless it's a proven/titled field dog.

Is the fault anything more than a pigmentation fault? Is the Dudley prone to any additional health risk? As far as I know, dudleys don't have any more health issues than Labs with normal pigment.
    Yup. That.

There is some disagreement as to what a dudley really is. Are you talking about a yellow dog with chocolate pigment or a yellow dog lacking all pigment (pink)?

According to the CKC under Coat and Colour a brown pigmented dog is different than a dudley:

b) Yellows
    Yellow may vary in colour from fox-red to light cream with variations in the shading of the coat on ears, the underparts of the dog, or beneath the tail. A small white spot on chest is permissible. Eye colouring and expression should be the same as that of the blacks, with black or dark brown eye rims. The nose should also be black or dark brown, although ?fading? to pink in the winter weather is not serious.

Also:

Faults
    Dudley nose (pink without pigmentation).

While Dozer is sometimes referred to as a dudley by people I meet he actually is not, according to the CKC breed standard, because he has a dark nose and dark brown rims around his eyes.

~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Here are some more interesting links that might help answer some of the questions.
    http://abnormality.purpleflowers.net...s/breeding.htm
    http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/yellow-pigment.html
    ~Samantha

Thanks guys. You are confirming what I thought.

Labradorable, I think Dozer's brown pigments are adorable. I don't think I have ever met a yellow with brown pigments like that in real life. I always thought the dudley meant without pigment.

This whole question came up when someone on another board showed a picture of a litter they were expecting a pup from. The mother bitch was/is a dudley and several of the pups appear to be, I knid of raised the question of why the bitch was bred, and what someone would spend for a dudley pup? Would the breeder, who probably should not have bred the bitch be asking full price as the others?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Thanks. We get a lot of compliments on his odd colouring. I'd never seen a dog like him before either. I actually didn't know anything about yellow lab colouring until after we picked him out and the breeder told us "it looks like he's got a chocolate nose". Correction -- He chose me, not vice versa. I wanted a dog with a black nose. LOL

I don't think someone should breed a dudley because its not breed standard, however, if someone were to breed and accidently get a dudley I don't think they should cost any less than the other pups -- poor pup might get a complex. LOL
    ~Samantha

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

This is one of those "strange" things with breed standards. Dozer probably comes from a lineage that bred yellows to chocolates, hence the green eyes and liver nose. Most reputable breeders avoid breeding these two colors because of this "fault" even though they are fully purebred dogs, and other than the pigment they could be "perfect"

Same thing happens with Merle Great Danes. They are not allowed in the ring, but it is impossible to have a Harlequin without having Merle Pups, and these Merles could be even more gorgeous than any black or harlequin, and totally purebred.

It´s just "somebody" decides certain colors or markings are not acceptable just because...

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Unlike Dozer's brown color, Chamois is a dudley (pink nose, lips and eye rims):

Her litter included all the possible colors of labs. Two blacks, one chocolate, one pale yellow with black nose and eye rims, and one dark-ish yellow dudley (or that's at least the 5 who were taken in by rescue, don't know if there were more who were sold by the BYB before they and the mom were turned into the shelter - grr!).

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

He´s handsome!

And Chamois is a beautiful Lab too! Haven't met a Lab I didn't like yet. Of course, I now know that there are Brindles!!! Haven't seen one yet, but am sure I will like that one too, even if it does strike me strangely.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast