Brushing their teeth??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brushing their teeth??

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultBrushing their teeth??

Hi guys,

Abbey has a vet appointment in a couple of weeks for her "puppy acne" again, but i was going to ask her about this, too. Abbey's teeth are still bright white, but I am noticing a LITTLE bit of tartar build up... so do any of you brush your dogs' teeth? If so, when did you start, how often do you do it and which products do you use?

Thankssss! ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Brushing their teeth??

I brush Henry's teeth every other day with enzyme toothpaste from the vet (don't use human toothpaste on dogs!!) and soft child's toothbrush. We also have chlorhexidine wipes that we use once a week.

He also eats raw, so when he gets his raw meaty bones, those help clean his teeth as well.

I've already had to put him under to have his teeth cleaned, and I'd rather not have to do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    I've already had to put him under to have his teeth cleaned, and I'd rather not have to do that again.
    Ditto. $800 later.....it wasn't the bill that irritated me totally, it was the fact that I had asked repeatedly about his teeth, as I thought something was amiss (had stopped chewing his bones and his breath was horrid) and was reassured that all was well. Fast forward 6 months and a different vet at the same clinic diagnosed him with severe gingivitis and a tooth that was unsupported by gums/bone structure, it had to come out. They cleaned his teeth, removed the wobbly one, xrayed, the whole she-bang. I was NOT a happy camper. >

We now brush his teeth every single day with the same type of toothpaste Felicia described. It's about $20 for a big tube but it is used sparingly and lasts for a quite a long time. And it definitely helps. It's been a year and his teeth still look as good as the day he had them cleaned. He will never ever be put under again for dental cleaning. I hate having him put under for anything and I think had we been wiser about cleaning a dog's teeth, this could have been avoided.

Do it. You won't regret it. What we did with Cooper was made a bit of a game out of it. Clean his teeth, then a quick little play session. Perfect. It's his reward for sitting still for a few minutes while I "brusha-brusha". That's what I say to him, "time for brusha-brusha" and he, 9/10, gets out of his kennel and comes over to me with no hesitation. I know he doesn't like it but he tolerates it.

Bev.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I used to brush and scale the dogs teeth, especially Peanut's because she's a toy dog and much more prone to teeth problems. As hard as I worked there was still plaque and calculus on her teeth.

I switched them to raw and within the month Peanut's teeth are bright white again, look like they just erupted.  ;D

I would suggest getting raw knuckle bones and letting her chew on that for about half an hour once or twice a week. 
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

georgie is offline Senior Member

I brush my girls teeth a couple times a week & they get marrow bones to chew also. I started when they were young so they would get used to having it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I used to brush and scale the dogs teeth, especially Peanut's because she's a toy dog and much more prone to teeth problems. As hard as I worked there was still plaque and calculus on her teeth.

I switched them to raw and within the month Peanut's teeth are bright white again, look like they just erupted. ;D

I would suggest getting raw knuckle bones and letting her chew on that for about half an hour once or twice a week.
    hmmm. i've been thinking about switching abbey to raw, but i will probably do that in the summer. what kind of "raw knuckles" do you suggest? I'm a noob to this raw thing, so i haven't the first clue! :P

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    I brush my girls teeth a couple times a week & they get marrow bones to chew also. I started when they were young so they would get used to having it done.
    how big are the marrow bones that you give your dogs? Abbey is a very thorough chewer, so I'm not that worried about her eating them as a whole, but I know it happens...

georgie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kal3idoscope
    how big are the marrow bones that you give your dogs? Abbey is a very thorough chewer, so I'm not that worried about her eating them as a whole, but I know it happens...
    I thought I would just post a picture of the marrow bones. I am a worrier so I get these at the butcher's & I don't have him cut them in half. I also supervise them when I give them to them. I let them chew on them awhile & then I rinse them off & re-freeze them for the next time.

Cinnamon gets a bone every other day and a bully stick on the off days so she doesn't get a lot of build up. I do brush her teeth at least 2 or 3 times a week. I started when she was a puppy. From day 1 home I used the vacuum on her so she was use to noise. At about 4 months old I started using one of the cheap electric toothbrushes you can buy for under $10. Last year I replaced my SonicCare toothbrush with an Oral B one and Cinnamon has inherited the SonicCare. I also use the tooth paste from the pet store on her.

She was at the groomers yesterday and Julie checked her teeth. She commented how good she was to get her teeth brushed and how good they looked when I dropped her off. We also discussed how much she hates getting her nails clipped.

In fact she saw a different vet last time we went and he was looking for when they had cleaned her teeth as he thought it was recently. He was amazed she was 3 1/2 and had never had them done.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

The knuckle bones I give are about as big as Baloo's head. I like them because they're not quite as hard as marrow bones, so I don't worry so much about teeth breakage. :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast