I need to vent!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to vent!

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultI need to vent!

Ignore my past posts where i said Alfie has turned a corner and is doing well cos today proves he is just a menace!

Got to the park...made him sit and wait while i took his lead off...collie comes round corner and before i could grab alfie thats it he was off...ALFIE HERE? no chance

Got him back give him a telling off then he is off again at another collie opposite side of field...alfie here again? think he has gone deaf

Put him back on his lead after another telling off (i know u shouldnt associate leads with being bad but i was raging) got walking and he just ran the lead went flying out of my hand and back over to the 3 dogs he had tormented 5 minutes previously...no point me shouting just ran after him and while i was running he was jumping on other dogs growling

I was so embarrassed, apologised loads and cried all the way home cos i felt like such a [email protected]@t...dont think they believed me when i said he went to lessons! Back to the long line....and the snip!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I need to vent!

Sorry your having a hard time but recalls are something that take a lot of work and if given the chance to blow you off before it's solid you loose a lot of ground. Also if you yell at him when you get him back it doesn't exactly want to make him come to you again.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    Sorry your having a hard time but recalls are something that take a lot of work and if given the chance to blow you off before it's solid you loose a lot of ground. Also if you yell at him when you get him back it doesn't exactly want to make him come to you again.
    Yep i understand that. I was told call him once if he ignores you go and tell him off...might try different method lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Sorry that happened. You are not alone. My two have had many obedience classes & Molly even has her CGC. But there are times...always in front of a group of people that Molly will jump on them. > She knows better.....I know she knows the command off. But she is so fast about it that she is jumping up before I can get a command out of my mouth. Don't feel too bad....many of us know how you feel.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    Sorry that happened. You are not alone. My two have had many obedience classes & Molly even has her CGC. But there are times...always in front of a group of people that Molly will jump on them. > She knows better.....I know she knows the command off. But she is so fast about it that she is jumping up before I can get a command out of my mouth. Don't feel too bad....many of us know how you feel.
    Mocha is the same way she's been through 4 obedience classes and has her CGC and did awesome at all of them but she still acts like a nut when people come over or someone new is around.

I would definatly not yell at him for not coming even if you go get him it won't help and will probably just detour him from coming next time. What I do is make sure I have lots of really yummy treats and work in an area with no distractions first with the long line on him. Let him know you have the treats and if possible make it a special treat that he only gets then. If he's been blowing you off with your current recall word you might want to find a different one and start over. Eventually work your way to where you are in an area with more disctrations but as you add more distractions you have to step back and add the long line again to reinforce the recall if he doesn't come right away. Main thing is not to call him when your not sure he will come or you can make him come. Once they learn they can ignore the recall you loose a lot of ground and have to go back a few steps.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Thanks for the advice...i usually use the word HERE but might change to COME? hmmm not sure he has been fine this afternoon and i made big fuss of him gotta keep chipping away at it. Im hoping neutering him will help too

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

You've been given great advice regarding recall. I think it is one of the hardest commands to get through to them. The time when we want it is when they are off lead and free. Hack, if they are on a lead, even a long lead, it isn't that important. So, it is the single command that we are trying to control their freedom with. I think I would choose to ignore it.

On the other subject. Was he really being 'aggressive' or was it just play? Has hehad the opportunity to play with other dogs outside? I know that most of the owners at our dog parks don't expect perfect behviour, constant heal position from any of the dogs at the dog park. We give them freedom there and basically only call them back to us when the distance or direction delta becomes to great. And most of us have that level of verbal control. Occassionally a more agressive dog will appear and everything I just said is void. We have two dogs, different owners, that just havea chemistry problem with each other. Both are great with all the other dogs, but not with each other. Those two owners just makes sure they walk in opposite directions, and each leaves the trail to opposite sides when they are going to pass each other.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

patm is offline Senior Member

Mine have been through lots of obedience training, titles in obedience shows, etc, and they STILL act like fools around other dogs. I'm sure they wouldn't come either if they saw a dog they needed to check out - espcially if BOTH of them were there. I might have a better chance with one, but it just depends.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Hi Karen. Sorry you are having trouble with Alfie. Do rest assure that his behaviour is perfectly normal for a young adolescent dog, as annoying and upsetting as it can be sometimes. From personal experience, my two boys behaviour didn't naturally improve until they were 18+ months and over that adolescent stage. It was only then that they had less desire to meet and greet every dog within a 10 mile radius and generally be a pain in the butt when off the lead. Now as adults they are very much completely controllable in that situation -- something I would NOT have said when they were Alfie's age.

I would not tell him off when he ignores you and/or refuses to 'come'. As hard as it is, bite your lip, quietly put the lead back on and remain calm. If you get hysterical or shout, Alfie will pick up on that energy and shouting/screaming is sign to him that you have lost control. I know it can be human nature to react in such a way (shouting through frustration) but communicating in that way to an animal will never achieve anything.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Karen don't feel alone we have all been there or are there with you.

I have 3 males, 2 of them are seniors at 11 years old and despite having had obedience training and years of correction from me even now they still rush over to greet another dog. I think it is harder when you have more than one as they follow each other.

As for Jed who is 6 months he is just like Alfie except for the growling part, i try to pre-empt situations by putting his lead on or distracting him with treats or a ball if i see others approaching but you can't always catch them in time.

I remember years ago with my other labs pulling up on a car park at a local nature reserve where you could exercise dogs, we opened the back of the car and they jumped out, we hadn't, however, noticed in the grass to our right a family with a picnic blanket laid out eating, within seconds those labs were in the middle of that blanket snaffling all their goodies, they ignored every command i knew, that was possibly THE most embarrassing day of my life....so far!

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast