She has started snapping at me
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: She has started snapping at me

fourbabygirls Guest

DefaultShe has started snapping at me

I'm really not liking Pebbles these days. She suddenly has more energy than I know how to deal with (our regular walks are suddenly no longer sufficient) and also "forgets" everything she has been taught thus far. The other day I removed the cushion to her bed to wash it, and she came out of nowhere and ripped a huge hole in the bed itself. As I was trying to scoop up the "guts" she snapped at my hand. It has happened a couple other times in similar situations; me trying to take something she can't have (and incidentally, stuff she stopped "stealing" a couple weeks ago but has since resumed thieving, like shoes, gloves, etc.), or me trying to put her leash on or me trying to put my hand on her collar. I've always replaced whatever I'm taking with something appropriate, so I don't know what to think or do about this.
    She isn't like this with my husband, or the kids. Just me. Anyone have any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: She has started snapping at me

How old is Pebbles?
    Sharon

fourbabygirls Guest

She'll be 5 months on the 30th.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fourbabygirls Guest

Oh, and it's not really related, but kind of points out how she's forgotten her manners....I turned around this a.m. and she was STANDING ON THE KITCHEN TABLE. *sigh* IF we ever get another dog, methinks it might be a smaller breed.

imported_oakley is offline Senior Member

Have you been doing any obedience training? It really is invaluable?

I would also suggest upping the exercise. Find a ball field that is fenced in and do some retreiving and some training there.

I am certainly no pro but those are my suggestions.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

I would try alot more exercise, and an obedience class. It teaches them some control and you how to deal. If theyre tired your going to be happy.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

fourbabygirls Guest

oakley--Not professional obedience training, no. Not yet. She just finished getting all her shots last week. A good friend is giving me (this weekend) the name and number of a local lady who does training, whom she took her Vizsla to and got great results.
    Thanks for your reply.

And thank you, too, Bogey. I guess I'll give that a shot. It's just hard finding the extra time, what with 3 small kids etc.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Well, yes I can see where you run a little short on time. But trust me, one hour a week class and then practice a little everyday whenever you get 5 or 10 minutes,wow. Huge difference. I mean shes still going to be a puppy and act stupid at times but it helps. Good luck.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I recommend that you get and read these two books by Jean Donaldson:

"Culture Clash"
    "Mine"

Seriously.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Forget the books for now; go to a real training class and learn firsthand and socialize your puppy. Then pick up the books as a secondary thing. You need to get her in control now...she's in her teenage rebellious stage and will try to see what she can get by with. I started Zoe in obedience at about that age and it was a life saver for all of us.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast