She has started snapping at me - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: She has started snapping at me

JustineNYC Guest

DefaultRe: She has started snapping at me

Ive started to realize bad behavior in a puppy is waste teaching time. They have so much energy and if you dont use it in a positive manner, theyll burn it off how they see fit....which is usually destruction. Fear not, their also little sponges at that age too.

I agree with everyone else about the class.....any class. You say she only does it with you....it sounds like you have a female that may be viewing you as competition and not a companion. You gotta build that bond with her. And since the behavior is only with you...Id recommend regular time with her....no matter what your doing, alone, just you and her.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fourbabygirls
    She'll be 5 months on the 30th.
    IMO she is testing her boundaries. Adolescense its called lol

Just be firm and in a couple of months (cos it will last a couple of months) she will suddenly snap oyut of it and be the model dog. She hasnt forgotten what you have trained her...just CHOOSES to ignore you...ive been through it alfie was the perfect dog...then turned monster and deaf lol now he is calming down again!

I know that my lab definitely acts up to get MY ATTENTION. Most of the time he knows what he's doing is not allowed - but that is why he is doing it. So I'll get up off my lazy butt and toss the ball with him.

As for chewing, mine's not a huge fan. But a marrow bone will always keep him busy. More important than that though, is having him doing something - in my case Agility - but in yours, like others have suggested, an obedience class.

The other thing is that normal leashed walks often don't do the trick with regard to tiring out your lab. More effective is spending the same amount of time in an off leash area walking, or perhaps in a dog park, etc. (Only if you are comfortable with that, and given her age, an obedience class might be best to do first).

Good luck with your Lab. I know it is frustrating, especially with all the other things you need to get done in a day, but trust me, your dog will be a lot happier and better behaved.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sams Mom
    I like the other suggestions the others have given.
    I'm going to add rawhide to the list. Labs (or maybe just mine) love, love, love to chew. The big retriever rolls keep Sam busy for about an hour. Sometimes they need to be stuffed with cheese or peanut butter.

We used the rawhide to stop Sam from mouthing. She was a mouthy brat when we got her at 14 months. When she mouths you, verbally correct her and give her a rawhide to chew instead. Sam learned pretty quickly not to mouth.
    I personally do not give my dogs rawhide - it has no food value and can be dangerous (choking and blockage hazard). Depending on the source of the rawhide it can be cured with stuff I would not want my dog consuming. A raw marrow bone (a large one) is the best way to go if you want to give your dog a treat that will keep them busy. Cleans their teeth beautifully as well.

I also do not feed pigs ears - same reason.

I was thinking about your situation last night and I think it may help you to re-frame the whole thing. You have little kids and one of the things you are doing as a parent is establishing rules for them that elicit certain behaviors. You are trying to mold them into the people you want them to become. Your job with your puppy is pretty much the same. The puppy needs to learn the rules in order to develop into the fine adult dog you wish to own. It's doable - Labs are smart and very eager to please people. Just needs your commitment. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf
    Quote Originally Posted by fourbabygirls
    She'll be 5 months on the 30th.
    IMO she is testing her boundaries. Adolescense its called lol

Just be firm and in a couple of months (cos it will last a couple of months) she will suddenly snap oyut of it and be the model dog. She hasnt forgotten what you have trained her...just CHOOSES to ignore you...ive been through it alfie was the perfect dog...then turned monster and deaf lol now he is calming down again!
    Er - - - probably not. In a couple of months she will be an older and bigger brat still in need of structure and direction. I have never seen a badly behaved 5 month old dog suddenly become Lassie.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog
    Quote Originally Posted by Sams Mom
    I like the other suggestions the others have given.
    I'm going to add rawhide to the list. Labs (or maybe just mine) love, love, love to chew. The big retriever rolls keep Sam busy for about an hour. Sometimes they need to be stuffed with cheese or peanut butter.

We used the rawhide to stop Sam from mouthing. She was a mouthy brat when we got her at 14 months. When she mouths you, verbally correct her and give her a rawhide to chew instead. Sam learned pretty quickly not to mouth.
    I personally do not give my dogs rawhide - it has no food value and can be dangerous (choking and blockage hazard). Depending on the source of the rawhide it can be cured with stuff I would not want my dog consuming. A raw marrow bone (a large one) is the best way to go if you want to give your dog a treat that will keep them busy. Cleans their teeth beautifully as well.

I also do not feed pigs ears - same reason.

I was thinking about your situation last night and I think it may help you to re-frame the whole thing. You have little kids and one of the things you are doing as a parent is establishing rules for them that elicit certain behaviors. You are trying to mold them into the people you want them to become. Your job with your puppy is pretty much the same. The puppy needs to learn the rules in order to develop into the fine adult dog you wish to own. It's doable - Labs are smart and very eager to please people. Just needs your commitment. Good luck!
    I also dont do rawhide. I pulled too many pieces from the back of Dales throat when he was choking on it before I learned my lesson. I feed raw so thats where they get their chewing exercise, but if you dont....you can always get a kong and fill it with goodies! Works the same wonders in keeping them busy, and its safe.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I still think you should try to be reading those books as you go along with your training. Trying to train before learning how is like taking the test when you've never been presented with the lesson - the margin of error is pretty big.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Lidosdad is offline Senior Member

Dogs are pack animals, regardless of the breed. A dog must view you, and all other members of the family as superior to them on the chain of command. In order for them to show you respect, i.e. not snapping, you have to take command. Obedience is the key.

When I walk Lido, I never give him any leash to walk with. I keep him right next to me, or one step behind. I always make him wait to go out the door until I go out first. When it's dinner time, he has to sit and wait for me to tell him it's okay to begin to eat. These steps remind him who is boss, and it makes his life easier to not have to assert himself. Our 18 month daughter already has learned to tell him to sit. And he listens. He's the happiest, go lucky spoiled lab you'll ever meet. As long as he minds his manners.

fourbabygirls Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya

And do not be fooled into believe it will get better as she grows up. If you do not put in the work to train her it will only get WORSE. Dogs do not come to us knowing how to behave, it takes work.
    I agree.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I got the name of the trainer my friend used and will be calling shortly.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

ask TONS of questions when you call the trainer. If he uses punitive/physical corrections, walk away.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast