She has started snapping at me - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: She has started snapping at me

fourbabygirls Guest

DefaultRe: She has started snapping at me

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey 1
    Well, yes I can see where you run a little short on time. But trust me, one hour a week class and then practice a little everyday whenever you get 5 or 10 minutes,wow. Huge difference. I mean shes still going to be a puppy and act stupid at times but it helps. Good luck.
    Thanks. I'm just sort of an impatient person, and am reeeaaalllly looking forward to when she's matured.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I recommend that you get and read these two books by Jean Donaldson:

"Culture Clash"
    "Mine"

Seriously.
    Thanks. I'll see if the library has them and if not, pick them up next time I'm at the bookstore.

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    Forget the books for now; go to a real training class and learn firsthand and socialize your puppy. Then pick up the books as a secondary thing. You need to get her in control now...she's in her teenage rebellious stage and will try to see what she can get by with. I started Zoe in obedience at about that age and it was a life saver for all of us.
    I'm trying to socialize her, but it's tricky because she's (to quote the vet and vet techs) a "Nervous Nellie." I'm hoping the classes will be a life saver for us as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fourbabygirls
    It's just hard finding the extra time, what with 3 small kids etc.
    I can appreciate that..mine are 8, 5, 3 and so when we are out in the yard...i'm kicking the ball with her while the boys play or she retreives her tennis ball and I work on skills.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

If she's nervous (about people or other dogs?), it's IMPERATIVE that you get her out and about as much as possible. Schedule her in with your daily routine as much as possible. Bring her with you when you pick the kids up from school. Take her along to outdoor sporting events. Use feeding time and walk time etc as practice sessions for obedience (she has to hold a sit-stay until her meal is prepared, set on the ground and she is released, she has to sit at the door before your walk, etc.) I'd also be working lots on creating a positive association about being handled - as she nibbles a treat, gently touch her all over, especially around the neck/collar/head. Work up to tugging on the collar, gently at first and then firmer tugs. You may also want to leave a drag line on her in the house (under supervision) so you can quickly get a hold of her without dramatics.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I know what you are going through, and I understand with small children it's tough to find time, but I will say....get her into an obedience class. It will help her with socialization & manners. Molly (our older lab) was a holy terror at that age. We took her to several classes. She was a big time puller & she was always nipping at my ankles. I would say "no" & give her a Nylabone to chew instead. But it took time & several classes to change her behavior. She has matured into a well behaved lab but I don't think that would have happened without those obedience classes. Oh & lots of exercise. A tired lab is a good lab. Good luck.

The obedience class will do more than train you to train the dog - it will help reinforce your relationship with the dog (increasing your bond), allow her to be better socialized with other people and dogs and help her be more confident.

Please make this happen - if you skip it now she will be a bigger challenge down the road. Dogs require a certain amount of time and energy invested, particularly when they are puppies. Invest the time now and you'll have a wonderful family member for many years.

And - a smaller dog would not be any easier - they all need attention and the investment of time to be good family pets.

Oh, and may I recommend that you start Nothing in Life is Free with her as long as you currently have a few commands down with her. The snapping is bratty behavior that you can curtail with a little control.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

I like the other suggestions the others have given.
    I'm going to add rawhide to the list. Labs (or maybe just mine) love, love, love to chew. The big retriever rolls keep Sam busy for about an hour. Sometimes they need to be stuffed with cheese or peanut butter.

We used the rawhide to stop Sam from mouthing. She was a mouthy brat when we got her at 14 months. When she mouths you, verbally correct her and give her a rawhide to chew instead. Sam learned pretty quickly not to mouth.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog

The obedience class will do more than train you to train the dog - it will help reinforce your relationship with the dog (increasing your bond), allow her to be better socialized with other people and dogs and help her be more confident.
    This is very true. I enrolled Tal and me in our first training class when he was 5 1/2 months. That was a lifesaver and I learned things that I continue to use. There are alot of things I can use when I bring Barney home next week too.

Getting them under control and well behaved is certainly good in and of itself. But one thing that kept me motivated for training him and having him be obedient was his safety and well being. Things do happen and I wanted to make sure he has good recall and will stop when I tell him to. It has already kept him from crossing a busy street and Tal has gotten to where he will not proceed unless I give the go ahead to cross a street!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog
    Oh, and may I recommend that you start Nothing in Life is Free with her as long as you currently have a few commands down with her. The snapping is bratty behavior that you can curtail with a little control.
    Yup. Angus went through something similar with me and I cracked down on his butt so fast, he had NO feedom. I NILF'd him up the yin-yang. He got the message. DEFINATELY obedience. I took Angus to puppyk and levels 1 & 2 Family Companion and it really helped us bond as well as teach obedience.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above, get to a class. I realize it's VERY hard to find time but if you do it NOW it will make life easier down the road. The longer you put it off the harder it will get. The bonding will do wonders for your relationship as well.

Give her more exercise (kids kicking a ball in a safe area is great). A walk is rarely enough for a dog (though it may be for some, it clearly is not enough for your pup right now)

NILF would also be highly recommended.

And do not be fooled into believe it will get better as she grows up. If you do not put in the work to train her it will only get WORSE. Dogs do not come to us knowing how to behave, it takes work.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast