Cranky lab?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cranky lab?

JustineNYC Guest

DefaultCranky lab?

Is anyones lab particularly cranky during one time of the day?

My computer is in my living room, so if Im out here so are the dogs....and if its nighttime and Dale tries to sleep, my goodness you cant even step near him without him barking at you. Hes very dramatic. Molly could move on one side of the couch and he starts making irritated noises on the far side at her.

And once I go inside, he follows....they both sleep with me. If I move my feet in his radius, he growls....if I pull the blankets he growls......anything disturbs him, he growls. Molly kicks in her sleep, he growls. Hes been like this as far back as I can remember. And then if I get up to go to the bathroom, hell get up, lay in my spot and then growl when I move him!

Hes never showed teeth or biten anyone but hes such a big boob when hes sleepy. Once he lays down, I usually take Molly and we sit or lay together on the other couch, so we're out of his way. Anyone else experience this?

If he naps during the day, you can do anything to him he doesnt care...its only at night. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Cranky lab?

A grouchy Lab - that's unusual

You have ruled out joint problems I suppose or similar ??

Sorry - devil's advocate and all that

I can't say either of mine are like that. Mocha used to growl lightly at my husband when he would come up to go to sleep at night. I think mainly he just startled her and it's dark so she couldn't really see him at first. She doens't do it very often though just once in a while.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Never heard of a cranky lab. Nellie's is always ready to go or be loved on, whichever I wish. Have you ruled out any physical problems?

Clarence has been a little cranky lately, but I think it's because of Fitzgerald bothering him when he wants to be left alone. Even if he doesn't want Fitz bothering him, he'll still let DH and I love on him. Maybe Dale just values his sleep--A LOT!

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom
    Never heard of a cranky lab. Nellie's is always ready to go or be loved on, whichever I wish. Have you ruled out any physical problems?

Well hes had 2 check ups recently because of the Lipoma on his belly. Our vet is pretty thorough, and they did check his joints and what not, bloodwork, everything was great.

If it was physical though, itd be something thats been wrong with him for 5 years. And only at night? If its his body, why doesnt it bother him during the day at all...he runs and plays like normal.

Once morning dawns (7am in this house) I wake up and his big head is right in my face, smiling and wagging his tail. Seems like its only when he wants to sleep at night. Cause during the day I can wake him and hes happy to get up.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I've never heard Baloo growl yet, except when he's in a deep deep sleep, far far away in dream land...

Sorry, not very helpful am I? ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Our first lab Heidi was like that in bed; she didn't like to be disturbed and would growl if pushed, but never showed teeth. She was just being cranky. Any other time, she was a sweetheart. Now only Duke is like that. He growls at the other dogs in bed if they bother him, but he never growls at me.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    Our first lab Heidi was like that in bed; she didn't like to be disturbed and would growl if pushed, but never showed teeth. She was just being cranky. Any other time, she was a sweetheart. Now only Duke is like that. He growls at the other dogs in bed if they bother him, but he never growls at me.
    No hes never showed teeth either, and Im no means afraid of him, nor do I think Molly should be. Its just kind of like.....'Alright, stop being such a baby, all I did was roll over'

I think Im the opposite....Im up at night and in the AM when his tail is going 100 mph Im the one who wants to be left alone

Angus has 3 moods, happy, happier, ecstatic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast