Is there something wrong with my dog?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there something wrong with my dog?

JustineNYC Guest

DefaultIs there something wrong with my dog?

Is there something wrong with her?

There you can see the size difference...

I know I read here, the number of weeks double is about the normal weight for a pup.

She is 22 weeks old and 42 pounds, so not that far off weight wise, but I noticed this month we hit a wall growing wise... ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is there something wrong with my dog?

She looks fine to me. Your "friend" wasn't being very kind. All labs grow at different rates, and many labs now days are really too large when they are full grown. And there are many backyard breeders who don't breed dogs that meet the standard very well, but to say "well, you got what you got" just isn't very nice! If you are worried about her health wise - just ask the vet at the next visit, but she looks fine. She probably has more field lines in her backgournd, which makes her slimmer to begin with.

Novarobin is offline Senior Member

I am not an expert but I am sure others will chime in later and say the same. Dogs are like people, they come in different shapes and sizes.

Your dog looks alot like my Chatham. Chatham is 1 1/2 years and under 70 lbs. He is very small for a lab. I remember going to a local dog show and trying to find a lab that looked like Chatham. The females under a year were the only ones close.
    She looks fine too me. The one from behind could be my Chatham. LOL.

If I recall correctly, they grow in height til about a year and continue to fill out until 2. So she may not be done yet.

ETA- I posted the same time as patm. I meant to add the same thing about different lines.

PS= I love her eyes

Chatham ~ chocolate Labrador Retriever
    Kaper ~ German Shepherd
    Hary ~ German Shepherd

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe Molly's just going to be smaller than Dale - so what? It shouldn't matter.
    Maybe Molly's "normal" size but Dale's oversized (there are a lot of people breeding oversized labs).

Molly looks slender but healthy - she's still a pup and is going to take a while to fill out. I think that's pretty normal

Bella

Novarobin is offline Senior Member

Chatham in October (14 months)

Chatham ~ chocolate Labrador Retriever
    Kaper ~ German Shepherd
    Hary ~ German Shepherd

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Two things come to mind- I bet Dale is what a lot of people call an English/show style. Basically meaning he's blocky. Molly looks like she's a field bred line. Field bred Labs are more stream lined than the English/show type. Caleb has squeaked in just a little over the minimum for a male Lab. At 20 months, he's between 62-65 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by JustineNYC
    ...Anyway, she started telling me that she isnt anywhere close to the size or fatness that she should be...she has no hips...and then she made a remark about too bad the breeder isnt responsible for whatever the appearance is of the dog when its older cause Im stuck with what Im stuck with. She said Molly was ok for a 5 month old but now thats shes almost 6 months she is way off, made me feel really bad...she even made a joke about getting stuck with a dog thats not proportioned...
    To be honest, that sounds like someone who doesn't know what she's talking about. To start with, pups grow weird, and there are times that they look out of poportion. And the crack about breeders being responsible for what their pups look like grown? Sounds like someone who would only buy a dog for their looks. In other words, don't let what she said bother you.

...I just kind of kept my mouth shut, cause the tangent she went off on, wasnt remotely close to what I was asking her.
    Good move!

BTW- in reality, the only English Lab is one from England.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlab dad
    I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe Molly's just going to be smaller than Dale - so what? It shouldn't matter.
    Maybe Molly's "normal" size but Dale's oversized (there are a lot of people breeding oversized labs).

Molly looks slender but healthy - she's still a pup and is going to take a while to fill out. I think that's pretty normal
    Id like her to be honestly....Dale is a little big for me LOL and i think its appropriate since shes a female.
    I love the dog regardless....I just wanted to make sure she doesnt look malnurished.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    Two things come to mind- I bet Dale is what a lot of people call an English/show style. Basically meaning he's blocky. Molly looks like she's a field bred line. Field bred Labs are more stream lined than the English/show type. Caleb has squeaked in just a little over the minimum for a male Lab. At 20 months, he's between 62-65 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by JustineNYC
    ...Anyway, she started telling me that she isnt anywhere close to the size or fatness that she should be...she has no hips...and then she made a remark about too bad the breeder isnt responsible for whatever the appearance is of the dog when its older cause Im stuck with what Im stuck with. She said Molly was ok for a 5 month old but now thats shes almost 6 months she is way off, made me feel really bad...she even made a joke about getting stuck with a dog thats not proportioned...
    To be honest, that sounds like someone who doesn't know what she's talking about. To start with, pups grow weird, and there are times that they look out of poportion. And the crack about breeders being responsible for what their pups look like grown? Sounds like someone who would only buy a dog for their looks. In other words, don't let what she said bother you.

...I just kind of kept my mouth shut, cause the tangent she went off on, wasnt remotely close to what I was asking her.
    Good move!

BTW- in reality, the only English Lab is one from England.
    She was so short when I brought her home, I thought she would end up being blocky....and then when her legs shot up, she trimed out and got long and lean.

Im not really educated as far as field lines....what I can tell you is that she is a LOT more athletic then Dale ever was at any age. When she gets real excited, she leaps up and licks my face while Im standing...Im 5 foot 8. I have a tall babygate in the doorway of one of my bedrooms....she goes square over it without touching the gate. I dont know why its there honestly LOL

She reminds me of a Jack Russell the way she gets around. And right now the only thing I can see that I pointed out to her was that, her booty is slightly taller then her front legs.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by novarobin
    Chatham in October (14 months)

Hes a beauty! Definitely reminds me of her.

mistonia is offline Senior Member

she looks lovely, shes very similar in build to my black lab who was field trial was like her in build to recently. you do get some really small labs, and people used to say about how small my black was and i used to say shes a mini lab. My yellow lab shes slim line like the field trial but general shape to the show lab will be interesting how she does in the show ring, both her parents where chunky, and she turned out nicer than the two of them as both her parents were very short in the back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast