Spooked!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spooked!!!

momtoBlue is offline Senior Member

DefaultSpooked!!!

Ok, so Blue and I went on our walk yesterday morning...same route as usual!

Well, as we were waiting for the light to change...there was this banner attached to a steel post blowing...suddenly, Blue got spooked by it...started barking and began to back up. Well, the next thing I know, she got out of her collar and ran down the street...I was freaked because there were cars on and she ran onto the street. I think she almost got hit...anyways I stop and call her back to me..finally she stayed on a corner and waited for me.

I got her collar on and we walked back home...some lady who witnessed all of this drove around to make sure she was alright.

I'm happy to say she is her old self and was playing around like nothing happened but me freaked out for the rest of day.
    <br /><br />Mom to 3 busy boys and&nbsp; my sweet little lab girl!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Spooked!!!

That is scarey. Good time to work on and reenforce the sit or stay commands. Glad all turned out well.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

get theeself a martingale collar or a well fitting harness....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Bobbiesocks is offline Senior Member

This was exactly what happen with my sister and Bobbie except our ending wasn't so happy - Bobs got hit by two seperate cars on a duel carridgeway and it's only pure luck that my sis and her boyf didn't get hit aswell as they just ran out after her.

Scary isn't it?

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

What a scare! Glad things turned out ok.

Tucker backed out of his collar once; it scared me, so we've used a martingale ever since.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

BellaIci is offline Senior Member

Bella backed out of her collar a few weeks ago while hiking in a state park ...

Hasn't happened since, and I've tightened the collar a bit, but I might look into a martingale too.
    Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

This is the reason I went to a meritangle with our dogs too Mocha is the master of backing out of her collar with a regular buckle collar on.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

georgie is offline Senior Member

That had to be scary. It's weird what will spook them. I am glad she is okay.

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

Lucy was a collar-backer-outer too, so I quickly switched to a Martingale once I realized this. Now I walk her with a GL head collar mostly, so the Martingale is a moot point.

Lucy was easily spooked by everyday objects when I first brought her home. She was about ten months old and had been kept indoors and in the back yard of the home where she had previously lived before being given up to the shelter. She was afraid of: Mailboxes, garbage cans, parked motorcycles, drinking fountains, flags waving in the wind, landscaping boulders, statues, and the list goes on. Each day was a new adventure discovering what else Lucy was afraid of.

I worked with her using desensitization and counterconditioning techniques gleaned from various authors and a trainer in my area, as well as a consult with a veterinary behaviorist. Now she's okay with all of those things. If it's dark and she can't see well, a strange shape lurking in the shadows might trigger avoidance, but I think that's understandable. To her, a shadow lurking in the darkness probably looks an awful lot like a mountain lion ready to eat her for dinner.

She is a Border Collie mix (mixed with I don't know what, but very BC like in most aspects), and so she is very visually oriented. When we went to see the vet. behaviorist, Lucy's gaze was fixed upon the framed print hung high up on the wall. It was a picture of a cat sitting on a window sill. The vet. behaviorist commented that Lucy was the first canine visitor to even notice the artwork on the wall, which showed that Lucy is exceptionally observant of her environment.

Anyway, if you want to work on flapping banners, something that I did with Lucy was walked her to the local post office, where they have a flag right outside the entrance. We started out at a comfortable distance (comfortable for Lucy, meaning that she wasn't noticing the flag) using Dr. Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol, which we had a lot of practice with at home before using it away from home. Over time, I was able to decrease the distance to the flag pole, until we were right next to it, and Lucy was ignoring it.

Don't make the mistake of forcing your dog to get too close to the object of their fear, then trying to make them sit/stay. This is NOT desensitization.

Here's a link to the protocol:

http://home.gci.net/~divs/behavior/bemod_relax.html

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Man I'm just glad everything turned out ok and Blue wasn't hurt. Who knows why some things spook them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast