Labs, especially Murray, are way to smart for their own good.

Thread: Labs, especially Murray, are way to smart for their own good.

DefaultLabs, especially Murray, are way to smart for their own good.

I'm working on proofing Murray for some upcoming obedience trials since he's become more distractable lately. We were training with some friends the other night and they were way wicked to Murray making noises, throwing toys, playing with their dogs in the ring, etc trying to distract Murray. He's usually really good about distractions but the toy was the one that got him every time.

First, when I was heeling him, a friend would throw a stuffed toy (not one of Murray's toys) beside Murray's path. Murray got corrected for lunging for it the first time. He decided not to look at it the next time by.

Next I left him on a stand stay and walked to the other side of the ring to give him his signals. My friend threw a toy about halfway between me and Murray. Murray was VERY interested in the toy (bug eyed in fact) but did his signals. Goodboy. On his way back to me he came in straight then gave the toy a WIDE berth, then back to straight again. No way was he going to get in trouble for being anywhere near that toy again. ;D We cracked up.

We were working on the around finishes (right finish) on each exercise so my friend would stand behind me and try to distract Murray with the toy as he came around behind me. The first time, Murray took a quick look at the toy as he went behind me so he got a correction. The next time he decided he wasn't even going to look at the toy. Good boy. See you can teach an old dog new tricks. The last finish my friend put a toy in Murray's path off to the right of me. I gave Murray the around finish signal. He started to go right but saw the toy so did a swing finish (to the left) instead and sat there looking up at me wagging his tail furiously obviously very proud of himself. All of us were in stitches over that one so we decided to quit there because we couldn't stop laughing. Gotta luv a thinking dog. ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Labs, especially Murray, are way to smart for their own good.

Awwww, way to go, Murray!!!!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Awww, Murray! What a good, good boy. Way to get the job done!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Haahaa....atta boy Murray

Tundra Aries Guest

Way to go Murray!!

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Good Boy Murray