my chocolate licked the chocolate icing off the cake! Help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: my chocolate licked the chocolate icing off the cake! Help!

  1. #1
    Porter's Mom is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    17

    Defaultmy chocolate licked the chocolate icing off the cake! Help!

    I'm a little worried because my lab managed to sneak into the kitchen at some point and lick about a 6" by 1.5" area of chocolate icing off of a cake that was covered in foil and on top of a high shelf. He is like a ninja! It is just canned frosting, but is this enough chocolate that I need to be concerned? Porter weighs 110 lbs. It just noticed it and I think he probably got in there about a half hour ago. He seems to be acting normal, besides looking incredibly guilty. Any advice??? I'm worried.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    JustineNYC Guest

    DefaultRe: my chocolate licked the chocolate icing off the cake! Help!

    At 110 pounds, I wouldnt think so. He may be a little hyper.


    Dale ate a entennmans chocolate donut whole a few years ago....he was alright. he may have the runs for a bit too though. Make sure there isnt any blood in his stool.

  4. #3
    jzgrlduff's Avatar
    jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    44,122

    DefaultRe: my chocolate licked the chocolate icing off the cake! Help!

    He should be fine. It's really the bittersweet baking chocolate that's really bad for them. My Tucker ate a dozen chocolate chip cookies off the counter a couple of years ago. I freaked and called Animerge and they told me he should be fine. He was!

    He'll probably get a bit of diarrhea, if anything.



    ______________
    ~Amy
    Califon, NJ
    Hunterdon County
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    PhoebeJeebies's Avatar
    PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, ON, Canada
    Posts
    2,811

    DefaultRe: my chocolate licked the chocolate icing off the cake! Help!

    Should be ok...that doesn't really sound like enough chocolate to seriously harm a 110 lb lab. Phoebe is 70 lbs and has eaten a bunch of a pure dark chocolate bar once (more than you are describing) and I freaked and called emerg. She actually turned out to be fine and just was super hyper and her poo smelled like chocolate. :P
    Becca & Phoebe


  7. #5
    Porter's Mom is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    17

    DefaultRe: my chocolate licked the chocolate icing off the cake! Help!

    Thanks everybody, I'm feeling better now. I've always heard how bad chocolate is for dogs but this is the first time Porter has managed to get any, so I'm just being an overprotective doggie mom! I'll defenitely keep an eye on his behavior and poops!

  8. #6
    jzgrlduff's Avatar
    jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    44,122

    DefaultRe: my chocolate licked the chocolate icing off the cake! Help!

    and her poo smelled like chocolate.
    LOL! ;D



    ______________
    ~Amy
    Califon, NJ
    Hunterdon County
    "Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

  9. #7
    Tundra Aries Guest

    DefaultRe: my chocolate licked the chocolate icing off the cake! Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    and her poo smelled like chocolate.
    LOL! ;D
    Sorry have to laugh!

  10. #8
    PhoebeJeebies's Avatar
    PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, ON, Canada
    Posts
    2,811

    DefaultRe: my chocolate licked the chocolate icing off the cake! Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Aries
    Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    and her poo smelled like chocolate.
    LOL! ;D
    Sorry have to laugh!
    Hehe yes it was funny. She didn't even have diarrhea (don't ask me how that happened) just solid, dark chocolate smelling poops.
    Becca & Phoebe


  11. #9
    amazongold's Avatar
    amazongold is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    23,457

    DefaultRe: my chocolate licked the chocolate icing off the cake! Help!

    When Shadow first showed up at our house, I had stockings all ready for the three step-granddaughters. We left the pup in the house with the stockings and came home to find that not only had she eaten the equivalent of three bags of (cheap) chocolate candies, she'd also ingested quite a bit of the foil wrappings! We called an emergency number for poison control, and they said that we should watch her for diarrhea, but that she should be fine. The more processed the chocolate is, the less dangerous it is. Also, the cheaper it is, the less dangerous, because it contains less of real chocolate and, therefore, less of the dangerous chemical theobromine.

    We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?

    The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

    Toxic Levels

    The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

    On average,
    Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
    Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
    Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

    Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
    1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
    1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
    1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

    So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

    Clinical Signs

    Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

    Hyper excitability
    Hyper irritability
    Increased heart rate
    Restlessness
    Increased urination
    Muscle tremors
    Vomiting
    Diarrhea

    Treatment

    There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

    Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

    If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    610

    DefaultRe: my chocolate licked the chocolate icing off the cake! Help!

    This probably sounds lame, but my childhood dog, an Irish Setter, was so bad that he ate whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. That dog ate chocolate like there was no tomorrow and never once did he get sick. (Don't blame me for the awful training, I was just a kid!) I went through many an Easter and many a Halloween without any chocolate treats!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25