question about a potential foster

Thread: question about a potential foster

Defaultquestion about a potential foster

So I saw this ad on CL the other day and my heart almost broke:

"Cougar is a purebred yellow lab with AKC papers who was born in November 2006. The breeder was unable to afford to feed the dogs properly and surrendered them to a humane society in northwest Minnesota. Cougar is only 47 pounds because he has inflammatory bowel disease. He is being treated for this with a special diet and medication and he is improving but he doesn't do well with the stress of living in a kennel and really needs a foster or forever home. Cougar's biggest problem is that he has diarrhea on occasion and needs to go out every couple hours to maintain his house training, so a home where someone is at home is essential for him to get this disease under control so he can gain weight and need only regular outings. Cougar has the sweetest temperament and loves kids and dogs. He is a great, well balanced dog who comes from good hunting stock, so once his disease is brought under control he can get on with living a dog's life. His medications and ingredients for his home cooked diet will be reimbursed by our rescue, so if you work at home and are willing to help this young boy get back on his feet, please let us know. His adoption fee is negotiable to the right home. He is neutered and up to date on his vetting.

The photos were heart-wrenching.  I contacted his foster program and told them that I would be interested in fostering and helping him get back on his feet.  But now I'm wondering how Fender would do with Cougar.  Fender is a typical 2 year-old lab, tons of energy, loves to play, sometimes forgets his manners.  Do you think that would be too stressful for the weaker one?  I know in the ad it says he loves dogs and kids, but I don't want to put the poor boy through any undue stress, I just want him to get better fast and find a family that loves him!  Thanks for any thoughts on this, I'm trying to think of what the best thing would be for Cougar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: question about a potential foster

I would think he would do fine. As long as he is let out when he needs to go he will probably enjoy someone to play with. The worst thing will be keeping him only eating his food and treats.

Good Luck I hope you can hope the poor little guy.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I think you and Fender are just what Cougar needs! A real life like a real dog.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    I think you and Fender are just what Cougar needs! A real life like a real dog.
    Ditto!!!!

To see how thin that poor dog is just breaks my heart. I sure hope you are able to help him get back on his feet. I agree - you and Fender are just what the doctor ordered!

Bev.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I think they'll do just fine. I've seen some as thin as, if not thinner than him in our shelter, and trust me, they've got lots of energy to burn! I wouldn't write him off as weak just yet.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Thanks for all the encouragement you guys! I just wanted to make sure I was really doing the right thing and not just misguidedly trying to help. The rescue lady wrote me back and said they think he has giardia, and since he's started treatment for it he's improving dramatically. Yay Cougar!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I think they'll do just fine. I've seen some as thin as, if not thinner than him in our shelter, and trust me, they've got lots of energy to burn! I wouldn't write him off as weak just yet.
    I didn't mean weaker because he's scrawny (Fender was SUPER skinny when he came to live with us, and he was a bit of a terror in the energy department ;D), but because of the digestive issues. Hopefully they can clear that parasite out for Cougar and he'll be happy and healthy in no time! Now I'm just concerned about how long he'll be contagious...off to google I go!