Pet Wipes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Wipes

DefaultPet Wipes

Hello Everyone!

I was hoping for a little product advice. Adley and I just recently passed our TDI evaluation. We have a visit lined up for every week this month! I am really concerned about giving him a bath every week. It is so dry right now I don't want his skin to dry out.

Anyone use pet wipes? Love them hate them? Any brand in particular you really like?

Thanks!

Jessica and Adley

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Pet Wipes

You shouldn't need to do anything but brush your lab. Lab's do not need baths unless they get into something stinky. Nellie is 6 years old and has had only one bath since I got her at a year of age. She smells like perfume all the time.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Danie - I agree with you but the problem is most therapy groups REQUIRE that you bathe your dog once a week.

I use a cloth (towel) and water for weekly cleanings, soap on dirty spots. I balance the needs of my therapy group with the needs of my dog. I bring a damp cloth to each visit to wipe his paws/belly

I stay away from all disposable products. They are costly to your wallet but even more so for the environment. Plus the cleanser on them is likely not good for the dog's coat.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

As you have to watch the hygiene, giving him a bath once a week will be necessary.

If he has very dry skin, look for a shampoo that is not harsh and made for dogs with dry skin.

The bathing doesn't hurt the coat, yet using harsh shampoo can destroy necessary oils. You might have to try one or two different shampoos to see how he reacts - if his skin is getting better or worse.

I haven't heard about pet wipes until now and can't give you any opinion on them.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Angus really never seems to need a bath either. You know how some dogs get sort of grimy, and when you pet them your hands come away all sticky and filthy? Angus never gets that way.

I brush Angus and Simon every week, or at least every other week. Simon's coat, a little longer and silkier than Angus', does seem like it wants a bath once in a while. But Angus just never feels dirty.

I'd say you could rinse him off really well with water, brush him, and he'd feel awesome and you wouldn't be using anything that would dry his coat

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

You can also wipe him down with Listerine (the yellow one, NOT BLUE) mixed 1/3 and 2/3 with water.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Mick had sensitive skin. No way could I bathe him every week. The night before our therapy visits, I'd give him a good brushing and spray him down with either a waterless shampoo or a 50/50 mix of original Listerene and water.

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom
    You can also wipe him down with Listerine (the yellow one, NOT BLUE) mixed 1/3 and 2/3 with water.
    Wow, I didn't know you can do that, learn something new everyday

amazongold is offline Senior Member

A wetting down with plain water and a brushing will be all you need. Definitely do not bathe him with shampoo! The shampoo strips the oils from his skin and coat and will cause you more problems.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I've actually used them on occation. Don't know the brand, but they smell nice. You can at least fool someone into thinking you bathed your dog by using them
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast