The runs.....

Thread: The runs.....

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe runs.....

I changed alfies food 3 weeks ago as the stuff he was on was making him itchy, moult alot and he gulped it down like he was starving....so i put him back on the brand of food he had when a younger pup but the junior version...he started to nicely gain weight, stopped itching and started to chew his food but now for past week -10days he has had the runs on and off?? I wormed him as id realised he was a month overdue and he was fine for a few days.

Now a couple of times ive come down to runny poops (he is housetrained) this morning at 3am it was so bad the smell woke me up!! >

I dont want to change his food again but fear i might have to. How will it affect him trying out all these different foods...and what should i feed him today as he has had runs quite bad. Also what are the signs of a blockage incase he has eaten something he shouldnt have?

Halp!! lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The runs.....

If he was fine for three weeks, then it isn't the food - or probably isn't. Could he have gotten into something else? Keep him off all food for 12 - 24 hours (as long as you can stand the whining) to rest his gut, then give him boiled chicken or boiled hamburger and rice, just a little at a time, to see how he tolerates it. After at least a day on the rice, if his poops start firming up, start adding a bit (1/4 cup) of the food to the rice and see how he does. If resting his gut then giving him the rice diet for a day doesn't firm up his poops, take him to the vet.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonGold
    If he was fine for three weeks, then it isn't the food - or probably isn't. Could he have gotten into something else? Keep him off all food for 12 - 24 hours (as long as you can stand the whining) to rest his gut, then give him boiled chicken or boiled hamburger and rice, just a little at a time, to see how he tolerates it. After at least a day on the rice, if his poops start firming up, start adding a bit (1/4 cup) of the food to the rice and see how he does. If resting his gut then giving him the rice diet for a day doesn't firm up his poops, take him to the vet.
    ooo brilliant thanks for the advice will give him rice breakfast in the morning and do that for few days!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I know when Jeter had the "runs" once, I asked my vet about changing his food again, and he said as long as he already had the runs, it wouldn't really matter .