Cut Near Eye

Thread: Cut Near Eye

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultCut Near Eye

Parker and Linus had a tussle about a chewie stick and it got a little out of hand. Parker no has a cut, bite, whatever right next to his eye. Not sure if it needs stitches, it stopped bleeding rather quickly. I have been putting Neosporin on it. I don't know whether they can do stitches with it being so close to the eye. Is there anything else I should do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Cut Near Eye

I would think that if it stopped bleeding fairly quickly then it will probably be OK. (I tend not to run to vet as quickly as others here, so you may get some different opinions.)

Bella

amazongold is offline Senior Member

If it isn't a gaping wound - where the edges are pulled apart - then there is no need for stitches. When we got Buddy, he had a vertical cut under his eye, starting right at the lower eyelid. It healed perfectly, but there is still a thin line where there is no hair. You can only see it at certain angles.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlab dad
    I would think that if it stopped bleeding fairly quickly then it will probably be OK. (I tend not to run to vet as quickly as others here, so you may get some different opinions.)
    hey I just found a new way to quote

I can't see the eye so I can't comment... but if it has stopped bleeding and isn't bothering him and there are no huge gaps it'll be ok- one reason to consider stitches is if you don't want a big scar ...

about the bit I quoted above - I don't actually "run to the vet" nearly as often as it probably seems I do given how often I suggest it

but I'm not a vet and even if I was diagnosing things on the net is nigh impossible.. so I really feel if people are concerned or the dog is not acting like themselves recommending a vet visit is the safest thing for all...

for a wound the call really is yours ...it's not likely to be life and death no matter if you get stitches or not
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad
    Quote Originally Posted by rottnlab dad
    hey I just found a new way to quote

I can't see the eye so I can't comment... but if it has stopped bleeding and isn't bothering him and there are no huge gaps it'll be ok- one reason to consider stitches is if you don't want a big scar ...

about the bit I quoted above - I don't actually "run to the vet" nearly as often as it probably seems I do given how often I suggest it

but I'm not a vet and even if I was diagnosing things on the net is nigh impossible.. so I really feel if people are concerned or the dog is not acting like themselves recommending a vet visit is the safest thing for all...

for a wound the call really is yours ...it's not likely to be life and death no matter if you get stitches or not
    Well put. I certainly agree that a vet visit is never a bad idea if you have any concerns, nor can you really go wrong suggesting it to someone who has doubts and is seeking advice.

I just wanted to put my recommendation in the context of my own inclinations.

Bella

mombear is offline Senior Member

Well I decided to go to the vet tomorrow to see if he needs stitches or to be sure he doesn't. Also, if you read my other post I'm going to have him tested for a UTI. Thanks for all your advice. You folks rock!

Tundra Aries Guest

Please let us know how the vet goes tomorrow, I hope everything goes okay Parker. Give hugs from us!