Just Labradors banner

PLEASE Help! Labs ate raw marrow bones

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Cinder4evr 
#1 ·
We recently rescued 2 lab pups age 8 months and 18 months.They love marrow bones and we buy them for them once a week.
Today the butcher had smaller than normal sized ones and my husband fed them to them.
They swallowed them!!!!!!! They are raw, uncooked, marrow bone pieces. Like a normal sized one cut in half.

Will they be ok? We dont live anywhere close to an emergency vet and our normal vet is away until wednesday.
They are not choking, they are sleeping right now and showing no distress.

What do I need to do right now? Can anyone help us? Thank you Im just freaking out. I love them both and want them to be ok.

#4 ·
I can't be much help other than to send good wishes. I do know that it's a good idea to feed your dogs bread when they ingest bones; it can coat them and that way, if the bones do splinter when passing, it is less likely to hurt the dogs. Other than that, I can't be much help. I am definitely sending my good thoughts your way though.

Is there a vet on-call who you could perhaps call, even if it's not the one you normally see?

#5 ·
Is there a vet on-call who you could perhaps call, even if it's not the one you normally see?
That's what I was wondering. Almost all vets have someone on call or another clinic that will take their calls.

Weight bearing bones typically don't digest well, but at least since they're raw they won't likely splinter. Still, I'd be worried about blockages or damage just due to their size. At the very least, I'd watch them like a hawk. Make sure their stools are normal, their stomachs don't distend or swell and they act normal.

#6 ·
ok thank you

I will watch them like a hawk and pray to God they pass them. NO MORE MARROW BONES EVER! I'll stick to milk bones.

Even if there was a vet on call, we are at a level 3 snow emergency and I don't think we'd even get out of here.

#9 ·
Feed lots of oil to grease the pathway...it will help them to pass.
Just watch for them to come out. A bowel obstruction is very easy to spot if you are looking for it: the dog will be very uncomfortable and hunched, tight in the abdominal area, may be vomiting or retching and straining to poop with nothing of note coming out. If this happens, a veterinary visit is in order. Otherwise, grease and wait :)
The marrow bone will come out largely undigested so you will know when it passes and when you are in the clear.
Not a read flag necessarily: just keep your eye on them and see if they can pass it on their own. If you are vigilant, this may end up being costly but they will be just fine in the end.
In the future, make sure the bones are big enough that they can not get sizeable chunks off. Remember, ingesting larger pieces of bones was really that dangerous, there would be countless wolves, coyotes and cougars lying dead in the country daily ;)

#15 ·
We watched both pups today and went through their stool. they both went 2 times and the younger one did pass the bone.
The older pup has not passed it yet but the both have strong appetites,are not lethargic,want water and food and are energetic and not in any pain or discomfort.I will keep checking the older one to make sure he passes the bones too.If he doesnt,even if he seems ok,I will take him in for x-rays on wensesday when my vet gets back.
Thank you all for the help.My pups thank you too.No more little bones!I know my husband is so thankful that they seem to be ok.He was worried all day.I think we learned our lesson.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.