You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! Good Boy Skippy!

Thread: You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! Good Boy Skippy!

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultYou CAN teach an old dog new tricks! Good Boy Skippy!

Skippy "graduated" from basic obedience last week , tied for fourth place out of seven dogs. Might be the only "placement" he ever gets He is really doing much better than I thought he would. He is not at all dog reactive like Emilu is, but he LOVES all the people and always wants to go to the person next to us to get better treats and some lovin, which everyone is more than willing to give (including our instructor) because he is just such a sweetheart. The most trouble I have with him is getting his attention. He isn't wild at all, but I think his nevousness results in just staring straight ahead at nothing. I sometimes actually have to bop him on the head to get him back to me at all. He also has some trouble with long sits and downs because he just loves mama too much. But all in all, he as learned everything they teach in that class, and last night we started graduate basic. There are 5 dogs in all, a labradoodle, a goldendoodle, a peke, and the lovely, wondeful, calm, smart, resuce lab - I actually offered my 2 up in trade to her owner if I could take her! I'm very proud of my boy, but I know that he gets short-changed in training. I don't work with him nearly as much as I worked with Emilu when we were starting out. On the other hand, I'm a little better trainer than I was with her, so hopefully that makes up for it a little bit. My goal for Skippy is to enter him in Rally Novice sometime next fall maybe. And get our CGC. By the way, Skippy will be 8 in May.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: You CAN teach an old dog new tricks! Good Boy Skippy!

Atta Boy Skippy! You show those young whippersnappers a thing or two, especially about the importance of congeniality. ;D
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Tundra Aries Guest

Good boy skippy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

High Paw Skippy! Good Luck on your RN! I know you can get it.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Go Skippy!

He sounds like such a good boy Pat.

I know I work harder with Angus than Simon. Because Angus, well, he just demanded it for so long. And now, well, he just has more enthusiasm for it.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever