An exciting new prospect...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An exciting new prospect...

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultAn exciting new prospect...

As some of you may know, i work in a school for children with special learning needs.

Some of them have severe learning difficulties, others just moderate needs, then there are those that have profound and multiple needs too.

The children range in age between 3 and 6 and have various conditions such as Downe's syndrone, Angelman's syndrone, autismn, global delay, blindness, deafness and physical disabilities to name but a few.

Today was "pet's" day at school and a lot of the staff brought in a pet and their belongings to show the children.

We had a cat, a rat, guinea pigs, giant African land snails, a rabbit, a lizard and my Jed.

Jed has had a super day, he has enjoyed every minute of it and behaved impecably amongst the children.

He brought smiles the the childrens' faces and conquered the fear of others who were afraid of him at first.

At the end of the day my boss, the school principal, came to me and commented on what a great dog he was and how well behaved he'd been and what an impact he'd had on the kids.

She then went on to say had i thought about training him as a therapy dog and if i did could he come into school 2 or 3 times a week and be the school dog?

I was so proud and am now really excited at the prospect. I need to look into it more and see if they think he could make the grade but I don't see any reason why not, unless they think he may be a bit young.

So watch this space young Jed may be having a career change!

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: An exciting new prospect...

Congrats, I wish my dog was as calm around people as guys like Jed. Rocky gets all too excited in a new environment. I think the therapy dogs get as much out of these type of things as the kids or the aged.

budbud is offline Senior Member

How exciting for you and Jed it does sound like he may be just perfect for that job

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That's wonderful! I bet Jed would be a great therapy dog. It's amazing the bridges an animal can create with people, especially those with special needs.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a great day.

Try:

http://www.petsastherapy.org/

The age criteria is 9 months.

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Congrats! My son attends a special ed school and this month is all about pets too. He's in preschool. They had a sign up list, so I signed up to bring in Shane. I brought him to my son's school Thursday. This kids adored him and my son felt very proud answering questions about him.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

My daughters have brought Angus for show & tell at their school (ages 5 & 8 ) and he was so wall behaved, I was really proud (he's only 18 months, but quite mellow).

Yay Jed! Therapy work may be in his future!

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Sounds like a great day.

Try:

http://www.petsastherapy.org/

The age criteria is 9 months.
    Thanks for the link Rosie, i have sent my initial email to my local contact so we will wait and see!

Quote Originally Posted by Shane23
    Congrats! My son attends a special ed school and this month is all about pets too. He's in preschool. They had a sign up list, so I signed up to bring in Shane. I brought him to my son's school Thursday. This kids adored him and my son felt very proud answering questions about him.
    How lovely, animals, but i think dogs in particular, are so good at bringing kids out of themselves aren't they? Well done your little boy ~

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

You must be so proud of Jed. I bet he will be a natural therapy dog.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Wow--that is great at his age!! (actually great for any age!) I think he will make a wonderful therapy dog.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast