Again With the Dominance Issues
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Again With the Dominance Issues

mombear is offline Senior Member

DefaultAgain With the Dominance Issues

Well we went to training class again last night and once again the instructor made comments about Parker trying to be "dominant" We were learning to heel and he wasn't too keen about it at first. She came up and yanked his chain (pinch) above his neck a couple of times really hard and yelled at him. She said he was trying to bite my foot because he didn't want to do the heel. She then did it again and put him in a down stay for time out because she said he tried to bite her when she corrected (neither my daughter or I noticed either one of these "biting" incidents). She said he was trying to show me he's boss. Also I asked her what some signs of "dominance" were and she said when he tries to get out the door before me, and tries to push me out of bed if he slept there by nudging me. Is all this true?

Oh and another thing. I am having him neutered and I asked what kind of changes that might make in his behavior and she said, "Testosterone" Uh, what does that mean? We only have one more class and I am thinking of going on to intermediate when he is older. He is the youngest pup in this class (6 months) and I'm thinking maybe I started him too soon and should wait for intermediate. Could I get some advise on this from you pro folks. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Again With the Dominance Issues

I think you should find a new trainer.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Get out of that class and find a new trainer.

If that woman needs to sort out HER dominance issues, you shouldn't provide your dog for that challenge.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I agree! That 'trainer' is an idiot and you need to find someone else for your next class.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think you should find a new trainer.
    I agree. Please run a mile from this moron. People like her have no place as 'trainers'.

I agree, find a new trainer ASAP. This is a pup. He needs to learn to trust people, not be afraid of them and this is a critical period for that development.

Yes some of the things she mentioned are signs of dominance but there are better ways to handle this without yanking on, screaming at, and just generally dominating an impressionable pup. Personally, I'd probably bite her too if she yanked on me.

I have a policy that my trainers do not touch my dogs. They can explain how to do a correction and I will do it but they will not correct my dog.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mombear
    She came up and yanked his chain (pinch) above his neck a couple of times really hard and yelled at him.
    this is how she teaches dogs to heel? i bet he has no idea what he did wrong, and no idea what he could do to make the yanking and yelling stop. how scary and confusing for a dog. :'(

reading material for you:

http://www.startribune.com/pet_central/16354016.html
    http://4pawsu.com/pmdominance.htm
    http://www.4pawsu.com/dogpsychology.htm

dogs walking at a faster pace or walking ahead of humans is not a sign of dominance.
    dogs naturally walk faster than humans. they need training to slow down their walking pace.

dogs walking through doors first is not a sign of dominance.
    dogs in the wild don't fight each other for the right to go through small opening first. dogs that are trained to wait at doors wait at doors. it's just a matter of training, nothing to do with dominance.

your dog is not trying to be your boss. he's just trying to get through each day the best way he knows how in an environment where he doesn't understand the language and rules of proper behavior. you can train him to become well behaved and respond to specific cues through training, not domination.

you are right to feel that things are not right with this trainer. i'm sorry your dog was treated that way.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

I totally agree find a different trainer and fast. I wouldn't even go to the last class it's not going to help and further corrections like that could be detrimental to him.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with all the others -- drop this class, find another class with a different trainer

Bradley said it well:
    ....If that woman needs to sort out HER dominance issues, you shouldn't provide your dog for that challenge.
    Where do you live? Maybe someone on this forum can offer suggestions.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

Ditto the "Get a new trainer". You would be better off without a trainer than that one. You and your dog should be having fun.

I have been reading The Other End Of The Leash, and it gives a lengthy description of dominance. Also that physical force is not the best way to deal with it. My understanding of it is that dominance is basically just social status and not that big of deal.

That said, the dogs and I are suffering from cabin fever and some little JRT is about to press the wrong button. Wondering it if would work to donk her on her little head and say "Shoulda had a V8". Reba, bless her golden heart, just looks at me and asks "What's her problem? So what if I hoard all the toys?"

Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast