Taming the Wild Beast - ideas needed!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taming the Wild Beast - ideas needed!

guinnysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultTaming the Wild Beast - ideas needed!

Our neighbours dog is OUT OF CONTROL when outside. We absolutely cannot be in our back yard without it barking and snarling at the fence. We have a large cedar hedge between our houses, so for the most part the dog cannot see us but it KNOWS when we are outside. Our neighbours do not have any idea how to control this thing : . If Guinness goes to the couple of spots between the hedge where he can be seen the other dog goes insane - barking to a fevered pitch until it is literally dragged inside (after the human calls it nicely to the door 700 time and shakes the treat box for a while : : ). I am dreading the summer as we like to spend a lot of time outside and it is definately not pleasant trying to stay perfectly quiet and keep Guinness from the fence (last year we put up chicken wire to keep him away but this has been tramped down by the snow and just looks horrible). I have gently suggested training, and they say there is nothing that can be done with him. I offered to try giving him treats through the fence (trying to make the fence a "good" thing) but they said no way! They actually schedule the time they let the dog out to pee according to our regular schedule ??? Today I woke up 45 mins early and happened to let Guinness out at 6:30 instead of 7a.m. and guess who was outside - barking to beat the band! Anyone have ANY ideas? We even got so frustrated last summer we would spray the dog with the hose through the hedge - he didn't seem to care....HELP!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Taming the Wild Beast - ideas needed!

Do you get along with the neighbors? Do you know that this dog is viscious, or is the noise and growling leading your judgement? Assuming that I didn't know the dog was viscious, I would try to arrange a meeting, then play session with the dogs. If it works ot, the tone between the yards may change.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

patm is offline Senior Member

How good of friends are you with your neighbors? I somehow have the urge to tell you to feed the treats though the fence. I was going to suggest it when I saw that you had already tried it and the neighbors said not to. Since it seems like the neighbors aren't going to be all that helpful, maybe if they see that you are going to give treats to their dog, and they don't want you too, they'll keep him inside when you are out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

What are your local laws on noise and animal nuisances? In many towns there are ordinances against letting a dog bark like that.

I suggest you find out so you know whether or not you have the law on your side.

Also, I suggest you e-mail or call "Dog's Best Friend Training" and ask if they have a booklet on controlling barking. If they do, you might order it and give it to your neighbors.

http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com/index.php

Doing those 2 things first so you know what your options are, I suggest you arrange to both go talk with both of them at their house about the issue -- the constant barking dog makes it too unpleasant to use your back yard so you need this to be solved. I suggest a pleasant, non-blaming attitude, something like this:

'We'd rather not call the police or animal control -- that's a last resort only if other possibilities do not work.'

'Would you like us to call you when we're going to be in the backyard so you can bring your dog in? We can call you when we're through using the yard if you like.'

'Here's a booklet you can try if you'd like to train your dog.'

'Here's some descriptions of "No-Bark" collars and sources for getting them that might work'
    (Many N-B collars emit a slightly unpleasant spray odor with each bark that trains the dog to refrain from barking in order to avoid it.)

'How do you wish to solve this problem? It's something we must find a solution for, now.'
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks for the ideas so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Do you get along with the neighbors? Do you know that this dog is viscious, or is the noise and growling leading your judgement? Assuming that I didn't know the dog was viscious, I would try to arrange a meeting, then play session with the dogs. If it works ot, the tone between the yards may change.
    We are cordial to our neighbours but he is a bit crotchety...can be sweet as pie one minute and a total grouch the next! Dislikes the kids playing outside - they don't dare step on his yard but yet he gives my kids bday cards every year. I think the dog is totally unsocialized to other dogs - it rarely goes for walks and I have never "met" it in person.

Once the weather gets nice, and they are outside more, I may approach them again with the fence idea or with a booklet. I know they have used/tried a citronella collar in the past. Not sure why it didn't work? Probably because there was no follow through. I can hear the dog bark in their house when I shut my car door etc. so I think it is not only an outside issue but indoors as well (but I don't particularly care about that - not my house! )

My fear of saying I'd call the police or animal control is that they would give up the dog or have it put down. I know they are struggling with the issue and doing what they *think* they can but it's just not enough. I would hate to be the catalyst that pushes them to surrender the dog as I know they do love it...they just don't know how to handle it.

Ugh, its going to be a long summer!

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    How good of friends are you with your neighbors? I somehow have the urge to tell you to feed the treats though the fence. I was going to suggest it when I saw that you had already tried it and the neighbors said not to. Since it seems like the neighbors aren't going to be all that helpful, maybe if they see that you are going to give treats to their dog, and they don't want you too, they'll keep him inside when you are out.
    Sorry, as someone with a sensitive stomach boy, I would be through the roof if I told someone not to feed treats to my dog in MY backyard and they did anyway.

I think this is just something you need to ignore. He's not coming through the fence at you, right?

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

The only possible long term solution I can think of is, and it's a reeeal strrreetch, that would take sacrifice, dedication, and money on your part......sort of think of it as an "in place rescue".

Think of the possibility of offering to "take" them and their dog to Beginning Obedience Class, you drive them in your car, and stay through all the classes with them, paying for the course yourself, your treat. Think about this idea for awhile.......

One could approach the neighbor with the conversation of, "we notice that Fido and you do not get out much together, you and he are missing so much fun; and it's understandable that Fido is super alert to everything going on in the neighborhood because that's all Fido has to think about since he doesn't get to meet new people and new dogs, that's his whole world." and so on,,,then make the Offer.

Now, by taking them and Fido in your car Fido gets to associate you and your car with 'good fun outings' and you get to 'know' Fido and Neighbor. Neighbor and Fido learn new, consistent means of communication and hopefully success, the prospect of tranquility within the walls next door, witch should lead to a much happier Neighbor and Fido in general....
    Who knows, maybe Neighbor might even consider eventually walking and/or playing with Fido.

Talk this over with 'hubby' and with the obedience instructor before approaching Neighbor with the 'idea/offer'. Even consider 'hubby' showing up (separately in 'hubby's' own car) at Fido's last two obedience secessions with Gabby so they can get a 'niff' and get sight of each other on neutral ground under fun, controlled conditions.

This would be a real project for you - at least 8 weeks - however many weeks the class lasts.

Again, think of it as an "in place rescue", and rescuing takes time, dedication, and money.... but imagine the joy in the house next door when Fido becomes a wonderful companion instead of an irritating chore.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

sorry about the barking dog...our back neighbors had two really annoying small dogs that yap constantly when we were outside. I tried to ignore it but it would ultimately lead me back inside because I couldn't stand the barking. My husband after one long summer, three years ago, went over and told them politely to bring in the dogs when they barked. Fast forward to last summer. We had a new neighbor move in, and he is slowly one by one getting rid of all the dogs in the neighborhood. Our back neighbor still had the annoying barkers...and finally started bringing them in because (shocker) the new neighbor started calling the police. They ended up rehoming the worst of the barkers...and my next door neighbor de-barked her dog. We haven't had any police visits yet but I assume were next since Gordy barks non stop when I play ball with him (I never throw it fast enough).

Anyway, the only thing that worked was when new neighbor got the police invovled, so good luck!

My neighbor's dog barks like that, but he is tied to a tree (or inside the house). It is annoying alright, but I am learning to ignore it. Not an option for most people, but I when I use my dummy launcher (uses a .22 blank), the neighbor takes her dog inside! (She knows that I am training my dogs and knows it is not a threat to her dog, but she "thinks" he is terrified of it. He is not, as I use the dummy launcher when he is tied out and she is gone, and the dog actually just lies there and watches peacefully).

Can the dog get through the crumpled chicken wire? If so I would be concerned about an altercation between the dogs.

I too would not appreciate anyone else feeding my dog treats. The dog's problems are not the fence so much as other people (you and your dog) nearby, so I would not reccomend that

Some great ideas so far - keep them coming - I may need a "bag of tricks" to deal with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom

Can the dog get through the crumpled chicken wire? If so I would be concerned about an altercation between the dogs.
    We have a chain link fence, plus a cedar hedge THEN the chicken wire between us and them. There are some gaps in the hedge where the dogs can see each other but not get at each other - thank goodness! Guinness thinks all dogs want to play and he will look at the neighbours dog and wag his tail while the little bugger next door snarls, barks, and bites at the fence. Seriously, we can be perfectly quiet in the yard and they open the door and the thing SMELLS us! Bark bark bark.....Maybe they could give me some of whatever it is they shake in the box to get tthe dog to come in, and we could feed it some of those to try and make it less prone to defend the fence! :

The other issue is that the neighbour has a really bad back and has asked us on more than one occassion to take our dog inside so they can get theirs to come to the door. THIS pisses me off more than anything, because Guinness doesn't make a peep out there and *should* be able to go anywhere he wants in his yard and I shouldn't have to feel like we need to rush in when their brat is being obnoxious!

Ugh, thanks for letting me vent here....and keep those ideas coming...I really appreciate them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast