Getting started in Fostering...?'s

Thread: Getting started in Fostering...?'s

Tia
    Tia is offline Senior Member

DefaultGetting started in Fostering...?'s

Hi guys,

Well, I made the mistake of going on petfinder to look for a 2nd dog for a friend...and I came across a yellow Lab named Sam who was "urgently in need of a foster home". So after clearing it with hubby (a new pair of Oakley's worked as a nice bargaining chip) I filled out the foster application. Got the call for a home visit to be done in the next few days and by beginning of next week, if all goes well, we should have our first foster!

So now that I've jumped into this so quickly, I'm starting to get a little bit nervous!

I have a 5 1/2 month old Lab now, and Sam is about a year and a half old...probably more than twice the size of my guy.

?'s...

So should I let them meet on neutral ground? I personally don't think Gauge, being young, will care or be territorial. He probably will just be excited that he can play with someone besides the cat.

Do I let them run around the house together at first?..as I'm sure they will be doing this for hours on end. Should I let the new dog in first to check the place out?

How do I prevent this dog from teaching my dog bad habbits? I have Gauge pretty well trained to listen currently.

Any advice is appreciated! I have never had 2 dogs at the same time before!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Getting started in Fostering...?'s

Sorry, I don't have any advice, but wanted to say thanks for fostering and good luck.

Bella

Check out recent threads by "Melissa"...she just recently received a lot of advice on introducing a new dog. Best of luck and thanks for fostering.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

I don't have any adice either, but wanted to say thank you too!!!!!!