Ignorant question. Silver Labs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ignorant question. Silver Labs

DefaultIgnorant question. Silver Labs

Ok. I have though about asking this in the past but never did cause of the risk of getting flamed.

But "Silver" Labs. Whats the deal? Why do people hate them? Is it cause the are not "real" labs and no recognized? Cause real breeders don't breed them?

I really know nothing about them except people have bad feelings about them. Just wondering why

Hope I dont strike anyone the one way by asking. I know its a touchy subject.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ignorant question. Silver Labs

It basically comes down to irresponsible breeders either breeding for an unrecognized color or breeding Lab/Weim mixes and selling them as rare color to uninformed people.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

You have to understand that there is no ill feelings or hate for these dogs but rather the people producing them. They are not in my eyes a purebred dog. Labs are yellow, black and chocolate. Why is that not good enough?? Because they can capitalize on the color and charge more for them. You almost never see them with clearances, nor any performance titles. They are just BYB dogs and owners making a buck.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

There are no silver labs. Labs come in three colours. Yellow, Chocolate, and Black. There are shade variations within each colour. Some yellows are nearly pure white...they are still yellows. "silver" colouring can sometimes be attributed to a weimaraner somewhere in the genetic mix...either the dam or sire or the parents of either. People get upset (to the best of my understanding) as some idiots cross breed specifically to pass of these mixes as "rare" labs...they are just mixes like any other, not "rare". OR, people attach a cahe to the term "white lab" or "silver lab that need not be, as they are not recognized by the AKC or CKC...where's the cache in that?.

It's not the poor dog's fault, they all deserve good homes regardless of their breed or colouring.

Ohhh ok, I had the wrong idea.

A previous post struck my interest and I googled it. I was surprised to actually find "breeder sites" for "silver labs" I can understand the hatred for the breeders themself though. Maybe some people actually like the silver look and want to breed a type of dog like that and not pass it off as a "rare" lab. Idk, I have mixed feelings about it. I should do some more research on it.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanJ
    Ohhh ok, I had the wrong idea.

A previous post struck my interest and I googled it. I was surprised to actually find "breeder sites" for "silver labs" I can understand the hatred for the breeders themself though. Maybe some people actually like the silver look and want to breed a type of dog like that and not pass it off as a "rare" lab. Idk, I have mixed feelings about it. I should do some more research on it.
    IMO, if you like that Weim look, get a Weim. Plain & simple. Don't muddy up the breed for what you consider a desirable trait but that isn't recognized as desirable. It's the same feeling for the breeders producing 'designer dogs'. Puggles, labradoodles, etc. Why create more mixed breeds than there already is. It just makes no sense at all. :

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Would much much less of a fuss if they were introduced as Silver coloured Lab crosses. The problems come in my mind when breeders try and pass them off as a pure breed Lab when as mentioned by others they are not.

meandclint is offline Senior Member

In the 1970's there were two kennels that happened upon silver Labradors - Beaver Creek and Culo kennels. The dogs they were breeding as backyard hunting dogs and companions all went back to local kennels and many had a pedigree with K***** dogs present. K***** kennels is still in existence today and they breed many breeds - in the 20's and 30's they bred Labradors and Weimeraners. I have been told by people who visited the kennel in the 60's that puppies and adult dogs were basically running all over the fields and book keeping was not the best. Now of course this is only my personal theory on where the color originated. Keep in mind a silver Labrador has never been produced outside the U.S.A. and breeders in Europe, Asia, Australia who have been breeding Labradors the same amount of time and longer have NEVER produced a silver puppy and had never heard of their existence until recently.

Anyway these people decided to capitalize on the unique coloring and did a lot of inbreeding - mother to son, brother to sister, etc to yield as many silver dogs as possible because if they bred a silver to a random chocolate then the resulting puppies were all chocolate but they learned they carried silver. They mistakenly said they were a mutation of the chocolate coloring sine coat color genetics and DNA testing, etc were in their infancy at the time. I remember an ad in a Gun Dog circa 1989 - 1990 for information on silver Labs - you had to send $10.00 to Culo kennels and they would send photos and a pedigree - a friend did this so I saw the literature. I admit I thought they were "cool" - I was in high school. Anyway these breeders kept the color going and sold puppies and encouraged people to breed.

Now 30 years later the color is becoming increasingly popular especially with websites making information so much more accessible. There are breeders everywhere now selling the puppies for their unique coloring. The dogs have a very small gene pool. Again if you breed a silver to a random chocolate that does NOT go back to silver lines then you will not get silver puppies. The dilute genes must be present. It has since been proved that it is not a mutation and is not a simple shade of chocolate. The dilute gene works on black as well creating a charcoal colored dog and it works on yellow too creating cream.

Silver is like a fawn Doberman and charcoal is like a blue Dobie and cream can be seen in breeds like the Poodle and Shar-pei often referred to as "champagne" since it has a pinky coloring to the yellow/tan. A Weimeraner is a liver (chocolate) dog that is always diluted to silver.

Now how did this happen? Well the LRC,Inc (Labrador Retriever Club) and AKC sent out representatives in 1987 to Culo kennels to see what was going on. He presented them with records of dogs bred, etc and so the allowed him to continue to register the dogs as "chocolate". That's when the ball was dropped. I believe they thought they would all just go away. They stuck their heads in the sand and now there are so many more dogs and so many more generations that it would very very difficult to say they are NOT Labradors. They are in the fact that their pedigrees can be traced for generations back and they are all Labradors well all except for where those genes were introduced which was a long time ago.

So in may opinion they are indeed Labradors. The problem lies with the breeders. They breed for a disqualification which is utter madness since a Labrador is a Labrador based on it's blueprint or standard so purposefully deviating is like saying "I want spotted Labradors now!" or "I would like giant Labradors!" It just doesn't make sense. Then there is the fact that silver breeders do not routinely health check their breeding dogs for hip dysplasia, eye disorders, etc. They just breed for the color - if you are silver you get bred. They don't care about temperament, working ability, or looks from many that I have seen but instead the only criteria that deems them superior breeding stock is the color of their coat when they are born.

Dean Crist of Culo kennels is a absolute as$h*[email protected] He is degrading and abusive if he is questioned and he set up a website early on showcasing his lies and many silver breeders purchased breeding dogs from him and were snowballed by his ridiculous claims. Many silver websites quote a lot of his lies.

Anyway I thought I would chime in with some of the research I've done and my opinion - take it for what it's worth to you.

Wow, great post. Well that's about everything one could know hehe.

I don't have an issue with the dogs. I have an issue with 1) the breeders who charge exhorbinate amounts of money for a "rare" color and 2) with buyers who don't even bother to research the breed in order educate themselves and prevent being taken for a ride.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast