Car sickness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car sickness

DefaultCar sickness

My Spot gets car sick every time he has to ride in the car. He would pant and salivate heavily and sometimes throw up in the car.
    I try to avoid having to make him go on car rides, but sometimes it is just unavoidable.

Is there a way to make it go away?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Car sickness

Our Shepherd mix Guinness gets car sick alot..How old is Spot? Our vet said that he will probably grow out of it..Guinness is 8 months old..We give him Ginger Snaps( the cookies..and make sure the ingredients say Ginger..you'd be surprised how many don't have ginger in them) about 20-30 mins before we are going out..You will have to experiment with the amount of cookies..We give Guinness 2 and he is 60lbs..Also, our vet said we could use Benadryl for longer trips to help with the anxiety..sometimes its the anxiety and not so much the car that can make them sick..You can also google natural remedies for car sickness and you should be able to find some hollistic remedies...
    Hope this helps..

labby is offline Senior Member

Feed ginger snaps (human cookies) before you take him in the car. Make sure that the only place you take him isn't the vet.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rpliegos Guest

Misha got car sick every time I took her for a car ride for the first three months. She actually hated riding in the car. At some point I gave her motion sickness drops (I don“t recall the brand but they sell them for children) as per vets recommendation. They didn“t work very well and she was drowsy all day long.

She just grew out of it (though she still gets sick sometimes on a rare ocassion).

The more you take them on car rides the better, but stick to very short rides in the beggining. take plenty of newspapers to cover up where she lays...

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Feed ginger snaps (human cookies) before you take him in the car. Make sure that the only place you take him isn't the vet.
    Ditto, that what we do with Tundra, Tundra get car sick too, not as bad as he used to when he was a puppy, but still I don't take him that much around because of it. Ginger snaps worked great too

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

As a vet tech I used to tell people to take dogs on a short trip with a treat reward as a destination. I often recommended an ice cream...UNTIL...my own new puppy got car sick...and promptly vomited his ice cream cone in the car on the way home! Yecch!

Short trips often...and hope he grows out of it!

georgie is offline Senior Member

I agree with giving Ginger Snpas, they do work. Also, try some short rides maybe somewhere that's fun, like a park & then take a little walk. Good luck.

justine is offline Senior Member

my friend let me borrow her dog's seatbelt harness thing because abbey used to throw up and/or pee every time she was in the car. she still kind of shakes a lot, but when i tried the harness thing, it kind of helped because it stopped her from wobbling around all over the place... but i will also try ginger snaps.. interesting!

toyland444 is offline Senior Member

I learn something new every day! I didn't know gingersnaps could help with car sickness. I ditto what Laura said. Take them for a ride where they don't go to the vet. I'm doing this with my foster and it's working! He now gets exicited since I bring him on a walk at a local park. Good luck!

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Don't have any suggestions but just wanted to say I am sorry Spot is having a hard time in the car. My beagle used to get car sick...it was just awful. I wish I had known about the ginger snaps. Sounds like a good idea. Hope it helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast