Class last night: Lady/Murphy/Wesley
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Class last night: Lady/Murphy/Wesley

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultClass last night: Lady/Murphy/Wesley

Update on Lady -- This gorgeous girl continues to blossom under the care of her Mom, who is doing an excellent job working her out of her shell. She walked into class as happy as a clam, head and tail up, eyes bright, smiling all the way. She had fewer shut-downs than ever before and is almost keeping pace 100% with her classmates. She gets jittery when the dogs are all heeling together (and it looks like bedlam, so her fear is understandable), but she's managing it well.

I am SO proud of her!!!

She is no longer the 'problem child' of the class! ;D ;D ;D

That distinction now belongs to Murphy, a Boxer. The dog is fine - 10 months old, handsome as the devil, and a really cheery pup. But the owner is a p-i-n-h-e-a-d. And has been from Day One. He won't listen to anyone. HE knows best. And HE'll shut down at the drop of a hat.

I suspected trouble from him early on. He arrived with the leash wound around his fist. Instructor gave her talk on leash-handling and warned of the dangers of the wind-around-the-hand, namely, no ability to quickly/easily let the dog out and gather him back in. And a serious potential with a dog that bolts of breaking fingers or wrists.

He stands there, blankly.

After a couple of minutes, I went up to him and said: "You're really going to want to unwrap that leash from your hand..."

"No. I need it to control the dog."

Murphy looks up at me from his sitting position -- where he's calm and attentive -- and smiles.

"Really, it's not safe to keep the leash like that. And we're going to show you how to gain control of the dog without-----"

"No."

hookay!! You can lead a horse to water but you can't push him in!

This week it was issues with the down. He didn't want to do it. And worst of all, his wife is there, and SHE's all eager to learn the right stuff. But he doesn't trust her to handle the dog. A few times during the night, she cornered me and asked a dozen really good question, out of earshot of her hamfisted husband. But he won't let her participate in class. Duh!

They were having trouble heeling, and Mr. Hothead started to melt-down w/the dog: "HE'LL NEVER WALK WITH A LOOSE LEASH! THIS IS BULLSHIT. BLAH-blah-blah."

I just smiled: "Yes he will. Let's see." I snapped my leash on, got Murph in heel position, and off we went. And after a few collar corrections, he had it. We circled the ring twice, with Murphy doing really well as I encouraged him.'

Returned him to Dad: "See? It's possible."

Dad grumbles: "That collar was tight the whole time! He didn't heel for you."

~~~~~~~SIGH~~~~~~~

Last story -- Wesley absolutely enjoyed himself to no end last night. I'm not sure exactly why, but he had such a BALL in the intermed class. Heeled like a champ. Did a stellar DOR. Just was hap-hap-happy to be there. Even our instructor -- who Wesley adores and the feeling is mutual -- commented on what a sunny guy he was last night. Helped that she was heaping lovins on him just about the whole time. ;D ;D ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Class last night: Lady/Murphy/Wesley

Lady will only go forward from here. She's getting better and better each week, because of you and because of her Mom.
    "Really, it's not safe to keep the leash like that. And we're going to show you how to gain control of the dog without-----"

"No."
    *snicker snicker*

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Please have a camera ready when Murphy takes off with Mr.Know-It-All...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Lol murphys owner sounds like a toal idiot surely the whole point of going to classes is to learn? well he will never get anywhere and i feel sorry for the dog lol

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Great news on Lady Dan. I don't get some owners - why sign up for a class if you know better anyway.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Great news about Lady, Dan! She sounds like a wonderful dog. Are there any pictures of her?

Murphy's dad sounds like an ass. I half hope he learns about the leash lesson the hard way.

That is just wonderful how much progress Lady has made already.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaisdad
    Great news about Lady, Dan! She sounds like a wonderful dog. Are there any pictures of her?

Murphy's dad sounds like an ass. I half hope he learns about the leash lesson the hard way.
    He's already had a close-call. Wk 2 -- I don't even know how this happened, but I was talking to him (about the leash on his fist) and turned away just a second or two and heard a FLOOMP behind me. I turned back around, and he was flat on the ground (!!!). I have no idea what went wrong.

As I was helping him up (and he was grumphing all the time), I asked him twice whether the dog dragged him down (unlikely) or he tripped over him. He never answered.

He's had back surgery. We've been told 295 times that he's had back surgery. It's his cure-all excuse for why he can't do what's necessary w/the dog. Instructor told him last night: "It's exactly BECAUSE of the back surgery that we want to teach Murphy not to pull on the leash; jump up; be a wild-child!!!" And yet all the suggestions that his wife work the dog while he watches and that she teach him when he's feeling better are met with resitance.

Last night, he stormed out barking that the dog needed to pee.

If he makes it the 10 wks, it'll be a miracle.

Glad Lady is continuing to progress and how great that her mom is into it too!! ;D

I hope the Pinhead ends up with a few broken fingers, obviously getting dragged to the ground for whatever reason wasn't enough...I hope he lets his wife participate, she sounds like a smart woman. Murphy sounds like a great dog too--I hope he can continue being so despite the idiot he has for a co-owner.

Wonderful news about Lady Dan I can't beleive the huge difference in just a few weeks! What a wonderful woman her owner must be to have such devotion to her and be doing such a good job.

I feel sorry for the boxer you know where this leads.....with the dog at the shelter or worse outside on a chain because he's too big and too wild It happens too much because the owner isn't willing to learn and teach the dog. Hopefully the wife will have some say and work with him some at least.

Good boy Wesley! I really need to get back into a class with Zeus or Mocha I really enjoyed going and Mocha always seemed to have a good time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast