Torn ligament - knee (not one of my dogs!)

Thread: Torn ligament - knee (not one of my dogs!)

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultTorn ligament - knee (not one of my dogs!)

Cafeteria Guy (for those who know of him LOL) has a mixed breed dog that was diagnosed with a torn knee ligament. From what I understand, Harley has been limping on and off for about a month now. It was starting to get better, to the point where he didn't limp, but then it started up again. They took him in for "exploratory surgery" on Tuesday to diagnose the problem. That's when they found out it was a torn ligament. His vet wants to do surgery and recommended they have it done within a couple of weeks.

CG's wife was reading on the internet that if you keep the dog calm (no running, etc) for 8 weeks it should heal on it's own.

Anyone with experience with this? Opinion on surgery vs. healing on it's own?

THANK YOU!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Torn ligament - knee (not one of my dogs!)

It depends on the extent of the injury. I think if it's actually torn, it'll need surgery. If it had only been strained, then crate rest, anti-inflamatories, etc would help.

Hiya

Don't know if you have read my other posts about my Bobbie. She was hit by two cars in October and badly tore the ligaments around her knee (cruciate) There was no other option but surgery, the Vet said that it would not repair itself. She had her op early December and is doing well, Vet very happy with the repair job. The only problem that we have is that Bobs' knee is in the wrong position anyway so the healing process is a bit more drawn out and she still limps now. We are taking her to hydrotherapy every week which is really helping too but aside from that the actual repair of the ligaments was very traumatic at the time but we did not have another option - I don't think it is something that will repair itself and anyway, how do you keep a dog calm for 8 weeks?!?!

My Mom also knows someone at her work who has a greyhound who did the same injury (torn cruciate ligament) just running in a field. Same diagnosis and an operation was the only option then aswell.

Good thoughts sent for the CG's Dog!

Rachel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Good healing thoughts to the cafeteria guy's pupster! Please keep us updated!

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

Tank has had both of his repaired by TPLO. They will not heal. I have a 16 year old border collie / mixed with something that tore one of his a year ago. Believe me it does not heal. They learn to deal with it is about it if you do not do surgery. If it is a younger dog I would get it fixed if that is an option for him. And by younger I am saying younger than say 8 or so.
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully