Bitey face.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitey face.

DefaultBitey face.

This might be a completely noob question but, Now that Davis our original Lab now Has a Lab rescue buddy Its like constant bitey face. Is there such thing as too much? The new guy plays pretty rough sometimes and he a little vocal and I tend to separate them when I see the new guy gets a little out of hand. Is there a way to teach them to play "nice"? I can't have the new guy holding onto the others ear. He has ear problems and it hurts him, but being the playful guy he is he goes back for more.

So is it bad to let them go at it for hours? Or is a forced break a good thing? Of course these guys are new to each other and could calm down some, but I highly doubt it :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bitey face.

I let my guys go at it as long as they want. They know when they've had too much, or if one of them is being too rough, the other one lets him know it.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

georgie is offline Senior Member

My two seem to work it out between themselves. If I think it is getting too rough....I will give them a distraction & that stops it. But usually...they stop on their own when one of them tires of it or on one has had enough...they let the other know & it stops.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

I'd be worried about haematomas if the ear biting continued !

I'd be worried about haematomas if the ear biting continued !
    Good point, Colin. Bry, how "hard" is he actually holding or biting his ear? Mine do the same thing, but they are amazingly gentle with eachother. Is he actually yelping in pain?
    I can't have the new guy holding onto the others ear. He has ear problems and it hurts him, but being the playful guy he is he goes back for more.

Well I went into stealth mode last night and watched them play in the kitchen last night. I had heard Davis yelp before so I thought I should check it out. Duncan (the rescue) for the most part would be pretty gentle but when the first sign of a butt tuck (even the fake out butt tuck) would come along he gets super hyper and everything is magnified. He starts to pull harder. Its hard to catch the behavior to correct it cause it happens so fast. Davis has not figured out how to put him in his place. Hes like the dream dog.

His ear problems look like they are going to be forever. They come and go but after hundreds of dollars of vet visits and $75/30lbs of rip off vet dog food they don't know whats causing it. They are just real sensitive to touching them the wrong way.

What kinds of ear problems is he having? Frankie had bad ears until I realized it was a food allergy (fish & eggs apparently). I switched his food and he hasn't had any ear issues in over a year.

Hes having ear infections and some bleeding for scratching and ear flapping and are extra sensitive (left ear much worse that right one). We have changed his food twice by recommendation of our vet, thinking it was food allergies. Right now hes on Iams Fish and potato vet stuff. Im thinking it helped a little but but we still have to clean his ears twice a day. They have also tried two different type or ear medication but none seem to keep it from coming back. The only thing that 100% work was a Anti Fungal med. He was clean for 2 weeks then it started again. I don't know if keeping him on an anti fungal med forever is as option? I'm starting to think my Vet is ripping me off :-X. Our next trip will be to another vet for a second opinion. Maybe its just Chronic Poor dude.

It really does sound like a food allergy to me. What other foods have you tried?
    It's not chronic, there is a reason for it.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

Have you gone completely grain free? My boy Kai can't have any grain at all, otherwise he has ear issues. We switched to Evo and since then have had no furhter infections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast