Quick Question about Bordetella (kennel cough) - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Question about Bordetella (kennel cough)

DefaultRe: Quick Question about Bordetella (kennel cough)

Ellie was just diagnosed and the vet said technically they should stay away from other dogs for 2 weeks AFTER they stop coughing. It sucks!!! She is on antibiotics and has been lethargic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

I would not do it. Shane was just diagnosed yesterday. He's on meds for 2 weeks, vet said not to go back to obedience class for 2 weeks. I've heard not to let them around the infected dog until coughing stops.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

Chris's dog is no longer coughing, and is fully recovered from what I was told.

UPDATE:

apparently the vet gave the OK for them to bring him to dog parks and such. Should I trust that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sure, you can always go to that vet and tell them you want meds, etc. for free if your dog gets sick.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

You're going to do whatever you want to do - so why bother asking any of us? If the virus is active for 2 weeks after symptoms stop showing up - I'd think that was enough info for an intelligent caring dog owner...

IzzyLucyWillie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoatDog
    I'd think that was enough info for an intelligent caring dog owner...
    8)

well, Im just an ignorant asshole who doesn't give a crap about my dog. Thanks for the help.

Anne is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillV341

apparently the vet gave the OK for them to bring him to dog parks and such. Should I trust that?
    No.

Rule of thumb: 2 weeks after the last cough.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Sorry Will, I'm going to have to agree with the others... when Henry had KC, I had to keep him away from other dogs for 2 weeks after he stopped showing symptoms (ie coughing). :-\

Can you maybe take Oscar on your own adventure?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillV341
    well, Im just an ignorant asshole who doesn't give a crap about my dog. Thanks for the help.
    Will, Calm down. Read the full thread and what you have been told. You asked for opinons and got them. All of them said wait. You repeatedly re-asked for other opinions. You got them and they were the same.

Okay, you really want to take Oscar to the lake, we all understand that. You are disappointed, we understand that. It seems that you want someone to tell you it is okay. If one person comes on and says it is okay, will that make y happy and relieve your conscience enough to take the chance and take Oscar to the lake with the dog that was just sick?

Do what you want, but calling yourself names isn't going to change anything. Calm down. As one vet told me. There is a risk with everything you do with your dog. To keep the dog perfectly safe does not offer the dog a good quality of life. We each have to assess how much risk we each take with our dogs. Taking your dog for a walk on the side of a road is dangerous. Both of you might get hit by a car and killed. I suspect you take that risk. This one is different, the other dog is contagious for two weeks after. You have been told that. There is risk, you need to decide.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast