Don't miss Dog Genius this coming Sunday on the Nat. Geographic channel

Thread: Don't miss Dog Genius this coming Sunday on the Nat. Geographic channel

DefaultDon't miss Dog Genius this coming Sunday on the Nat. Geographic channel

I posted this yesterday in O&E but want to make sure everyone knows about this amazing documentary about new scientific studies of canine intelligence. The show will rerun this Sunday at 5:00PM Eastern time on the National Geographic channel This is my original post:

It was on the National geographic Channel. This show high lighted scientific experiments that amazed even some of the researchers. They proved, for instance, that dogs exhibit right and left brain behavior, analytical thought processes and individual creativity.
    I had read before about this dog who knew the names of hundreds of objects. In one demonstration they had about forty different objects that on vocal command the dog would select the correct object. Then they introduced an object the dog had never seen before and gave it a name the dog had never heard before. The dog picked out the object by eliminating all of the known objects and it therefore assumed it must be the one.
    Another researcher conducted test using a touch screen computer where the dog, in order to get a treat out of a dispenser, had to figure out which of two items meant reward and which did not. They started with one item which produced a red screen and no reward and another item that produced the reward. Then by introducing new items the dog quickly recognized the attributes that produced the reward even if it was an item it had never seen before. The dogs being tested got going so fast that when they put a screen up that I even couldn't see the relationship the dog nailed it.
    The most amazing, however, was the last sequence about a rescued Doberman mix. The owner noticed the dog was arranging it's stuffed toys in the back yard in specific patterns and subset groupings. This behavior was not "taught" nor was there any reward. Researchers set up cameras to record the dog and still have no explanation. For instance, all alone, it would arrange toys in groups of three forming a triangle. In one group would be all green toys, in another all frog type toys, in another group the toys would all be face up or face down. Then it made parallel lines using multiple toys. One researcher just thought the dog was being "artistic".
    When your dog is sitting there staring and studying you, be afraid, be very afraid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Don't miss Dog Genius this coming Sunday on the Nat. Geographic channel

I saw that a few weeks ago, it's a definate must watch!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Don't miss Dog Genius this coming Sunday on the Nat. Geographic channel

Wow, this sounds cool! I will definitely watch. Thanks for the heads up!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reminder. It sounds really interesting.

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    Wow, this sounds cool! I will definitely watch. Thanks for the heads up!

Connie- Definately watch this, you will really like it.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I remember seeing it advertised..thanks for the reminder 'cuz it sounds like a must watch!

Tundra Aries Guest

Thanks for the reminder!!