questions for Casey the pup

Thread: questions for Casey the pup

Defaultquestions for Casey the pup

I have a few questions. At what age (weeks) do dogs start to really show (indicate) the need to go potty outside. We are routinely taking her out and I am now putting in her crate during times of the day so she learns to hold it better since the other day my son had a friend over and while he was getting ready to go home I turned my back on Casey and then there was a puddle ( although she was whining at the gate in the kitchen, me thought it was because of the person leaving but now I am thinking she was telling take me outside).

Also how does one train the dog to ring a bell for this? Is this more advance for older pups?

When playing outside in the back yard off leash she runs with sticks and gets them but also chews them and I am assuming eating some of the bark in the process. She also bites at the spirea (spelling wrong)plants. Winter time here so no leaves. Should I be concerned about this?

Also when we take her to other parts of the House she just does not stop sniffing and roaming. As much as we try she just goes after the kids toys to carry around which is kind of cute seeing her carry a Geo trax train in her mouth we need her to learn no this. But since she is 12 weeks old she pretty much seems to want to steal the things and try to hide them but can't since we are right there to take them away. We offer her one of her toys but she is like yeah right like that is going to work.

Also on another note she has been great in the crate. The only times she will whine and bark is if the whole family is home and she is in it wanting to be around us.

I feel bad leaving her in it at time but I just can not watch her every second and clean the house. I want to have a very well adjusted dog and she is doing great with the kids and everyone she meets.

Her is a Pict of her a week ago. Also she seems like she is growing noticeably to me. She is up 2lbs from when we brought her home.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: questions for Casey the pup

Hi there!
    She is very pretty!! I love her coloring. You do know not to put her in the crate with her collar on right? It could get caught between the slats and she could choke or hang herself.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

You do know not to put her in the crate with her collar on right? It could get caught between the slats and she could choke or hang herself.

Yes we do know take her collar off. I was listening to a training thing on the internet and it said just that. I am glad nothing has happened so far. Thanks though for pointing that out as I think a lot of people would never think of that. Especially new dog owners that a very green on this whole puppy thing ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Awwwww Casey is such a cutie!!! :-*
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Thanks though for pointing that out as I think a lot of people would never think of that.
    OK good, I didn't want you to think I was being a snobby know-it-all. I tell so many new puppy owners that and they usually are like "Oooooh, really?". :-\

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Every puppy is different some dogs never really tell you they need out and others catch on really quickly. For the bells most just hang them next to the door at a height the dog can easily reach with their nose or paw. Then every time you go out try to get them to touch the bells. At first you may have to just ring the bell until they get the hang of it. Normally they catch on pretty quick from what I've heard but I havne't had to try it with mine.

Stealing things and trying to eat everything is totally normal but needs to be prevented when possible. Your not going to stop them from getting everything but watch them the best you can. There are lists of poisinious plans online different places I would google it to see if the plant you mentioned is on there. A little bark won't hurt her but it could get stuck in the roof of her mouth and cause an infection so just watch her the best you can. Work on Leave it and dropt it now it will come in handy.

She's a cutie

She is gorgeous!

* To all the more experienced posters here: Please correct me if I'm wrong. Just trying to throw my 2 cents in and help. *

Quote Originally Posted by Thinking Dog
    I have a few questions. At what age (weeks) do dogs start to really show (indicate) the need to go potty outside. We are routinely taking her out and I am now putting in her crate during times of the day so she learns to hold it better since the other day my son had a friend over and while he was getting ready to go home I turned my back on Casey and then there was a puddle ( although she was whining at the gate in the kitchen, me thought it was because of the person leaving but now I am thinking she was telling take me outside).

When we got Bradley the first thing we did was play with him outside. He noticed something familiar: The grass he was allowed to pee on while he was still at the breeder's. He had one accident on his first night because he was excited. The following two days HE SHOWED us what he wanted - to go outside to go potty, but WE didn't understand his signals. Once we moved behind that miscommunication it was all good. He got that done when he was 7/8 weeks old.

Also how does one train the dog to ring a bell for this? Is this more advance for older pups?
    I cannot give you a certified answer on that, but all I can say is: If Bradley would ring a bell everytime he needs to go potty or just wants to go outside and play it would drive me up the walls. I don't know if the others have help/info on the bell and how to train the dogs to use it just in the case of having to go pee...

When playing outside in the back yard off leash she runs with sticks and gets them but also chews them and I am assuming eating some of the bark in the process. She also bites at the spirea (spelling wrong)plants. Winter time here so no leaves. Should I be concerned about this?

Welcome to the nature of the Labrador. First of all she wants to play. But they also want to retrieve. Now you have to make the distinction between what you want her to retrieve and what not... : It doesn't matter to her what she brings back if she gets a reward for it.

Also when we take her to other parts of the House she just does not stop sniffing and roaming. As much as we try she just goes after the kids toys to carry around which is kind of cute seeing her carry a Geo trax train in her mouth we need her to learn no this. But since she is 12 weeks old she pretty much seems to want to steal the things and try to hide them but can't since we are right there to take them away. We offer her one of her toys but she is like yeah right like that is going to work.

She's being a pup. No difference to ours and e still roams and sniffs around. That's just what they do. They're curious. You have to make it clear to her what toys are her's and which are not. If you don't want her to take your kids toys, don't give them to her. What worked for us to teach Bradley how to drop things, is to slightly pull at whatever he picked up and wasn't supposed to have and said "Drop it". And give him one of his toys and rewarded him that way. After a while we didn't have to "pull it out of his mouth" anymore, but he dropped it by himself. That way they learn (maybe... : eventually... :) what things are okay for her to take and which not.
    Unfortunately he developed a sock fetish... Hey, nobody's perfect :-\

Also on another note she has been great in the crate. The only times she will whine and bark is if the whole family is home and she is in it wanting to be around us.
    Well she wants to be a round you guys. Make sure the crate is not a place where she is put for punishment and soon she will see it as her sanctuary and will go in there by herself just because SHE wants a break from you

I feel bad leaving her in it at time but I just can not watch her every second and clean the house. I want to have a very well adjusted dog and she is doing great with the kids and everyone she meets.

Her is a Pict of her a week ago. Also she seems like she is growing noticeably to me. She is up 2lbs from when we brought her home.