Prong collar misuse
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prong collar misuse

DefaultProng collar misuse

Argghhh.

I was at PetSmart yesterday picking up a few things and I saw a young couple with two dogs, one bull terrier and one teacup something or other mix. The bull terrier looked sweet and well mannered but the guy had him on the most poorly fitting prong I had ever seen. First off....the dog was a good deal smaller than my boys and he had the largest prongs possible. Secondly....the collar was so loose it looked like a charm bracelet. I saw the guy pull on it a few times to get the dog's attention and it really bothered me. His fur and skin was rubbed raw around his neck and he was losing hair all along the collar area.

Now begins the debate with myself.....to speak or not to speak, that is the question.

I spoke.

I approached them very friendly and asked how long they had him. They said a year. I bent down to pet him, very sweet dog. I told them a little lie to make my delivery sound better. In a very sweet voice I said "I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but I noticed your dog's prong. They can be great tools, believe me I know because I train dogs for a living (there was the lie, I do train my dogs and it feels like a full time job at times, but I didn't just want to seem like a know it all dog owner). What I have found with the dogs I train is that their necks get irritated if the prongs are too loose and they respond much better to a tighter prong. A properly fit prong shouldn't have slack in it and it will feel better for him."

They just looked at me like I was

A) a total idiot
    B) a leper
    C) had two heads

I wasn't quite sure, but lets just say neither of them appreciated me at all.

Oh well, I just hope they went home and looked up the proper way to use a prong collar on the internet. Poor doggy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Prong collar misuse

Too bad you don't have to take a lesson on how to properly use one to buy one. I have mine on properly and was told by the 12 and 13 year old up the street that my dog's collar was hurting her and too tight! : Okay, thanks for the tips, kids!

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Maybe nobody showed them that links could be taken out??

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Can someone post a pic to show how snug it should be? Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    Maybe nobody showed them that links could be taken out??
    Honestly I wondered, becuase it looked to me like they could slide the collar on and off over his head. I would have talked to them longer if they weren't looking at me like I had the plague.

Here's an article on proper prong fits. I haven't read everything on this site, so I don't know what I'm endorsing here, but I skimmed this particular article and the information looked good.

http://www.leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Good for you Page, for saying something!! It couldn't have fell upon totally deaf ears. I hope they took it in once they got home.

Felicia, Frankie's is snug but I can fit my fingers between it and his neck.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

I think I've got Henery's too loose. :-[ So there shouldn't be too much extra "slack" in the chain when it's passive?

I only ever use ours when we're in high-distraction settings, and right now cuz his Sense-ation harness rubs on his sutures.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    I think I've got Henery's too loose. :-[ So there shouldn't be too much extra "slack" in the chain when it's passive?

I only ever use ours when we're in high-distraction settings, and right now cuz his Sense-ation harness rubs on his sutures.
    It should be snug enough to stay in place high on the dog's neck, right behind the ears, without too much trouble. But loose enough not to 'correct' until you do so w/the leash.....

patm is offline Senior Member

If the skin was raw underneath it , then something is wrong - probably they are "using it" too much. I must admit though, that I used have Skippy's way too loose - it would slide over his head - was was fairly large prongs. But it really didn't cause him any trouble , as he never pulled on it. Now I have a properly fitted one for him of course My neice wears a HUGE prong on her lab - he looks like a dangerous animal in it. But she likes walking him in it because it makes him look little scary, and it doesn't bother his neck either.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Urgh. How irritating, Page. :-\

I constantly see the misuse of choke chains, Gentle Leaders, etc., and it bugs me no end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast