Another Bloat Survivor

Thread: Another Bloat Survivor

DefaultAnother Bloat Survivor

Another person just sent me the following message:

Hello,
    I just wanted to say thank you SO MUCH for continuing to post Jake's story.
    Last night our dog Gunnar, a Bernese Mountain Dog, ended up with bloat. His symptoms and progression were very similar to what happened to Jake - except that it was late at night when he became distressed. While my husband was on his way to the vet hospital with him, I stayed at home trying to look up information about bloat on the internet. By this time, we already knew what bloat was, the symptoms, and the dangers. Your website was most helpful to me because of the encouragement Jake's story inspired in me.
    Gunnar is now recovering from surgery, and doing quite well. I hope that he has as full a life ahead of him as Jake had.
    Thank again, very very much!

I posted a website in 1997 to educate people about the dangers of Bloat. In case you have not visited Jake's Page please take a minute or two to read his story. It could save your dogs life.
    http://home.flash.net/~jdebess/index.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Another Bloat Survivor

Thanks for sharing again I love reading the survival stories and the fact that your site has save several lives makes it clear that one person can make a difference Thanks for keeping it up.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Im crying here reading Jakes last gift. So sweet.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad Gunnar made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey 1
    Im crying here reading Jakes last gift. So sweet.
    Yes I can't go there. If I do I start crying. A special gift.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Jade63 is offline Senior Member

My Mercedes is a 3 1/2 yr old female , bloat really worries me with her...she eats like some maniac..sheis an only child and with me being a widow, I am the only one here..so no one bothers her while eating..yet she gulps each meal in one second...I give her 2 meals and feed her a little at a time..I had oneof those bowls that had sectons to slow her down,,that did not work so now I have a large solid glass paper weight in the middle of her bowl..helps a bit but not much>>I do keep her quiet after she eats.What else can I do? this really scares me.

I do keep her quiet after she eats.What else can I do? this really scares me.
    First, don't be scared, just be informed as to what the symptoms are. Labs are not even in the top ten list of dogs that are considered at risk.
    As for the rapid eating the only thing I can think of is to add a little more water to the food so your dog has to lap at it a bit more. You might also consider going to three meals a day.

Novarobin is offline Senior Member

We also add water to the food so it slows them down.

Nice site.

When Kaper, our GSD, came into my life, I started learning as much as I could about Bloat since Shepherds are very prone to it. I had no idea that Labs could also be affected until doing that research. I am vigilant with both of them now and have already had one scare with Kaper on New Years. Fortunately it turned out not to be bloat.

One of our Police Service dogs died recently of bloat. He was unfortunately outside in his kennel when the symptoms came on and was not discovered until the morning. The handler did everything right, two smaller meals, no exercise after, etc. Its sad.

Its nice to know you are helping others.

Chatham ~ chocolate Labrador Retriever
    Kaper ~ German Shepherd
    Hary ~ German Shepherd