Electric fence.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric fence.

DefaultElectric fence.

I know a number of people have these, but I have no experience with them. As some of you read, last night it looked like a bad episode of Prison Break last night! Was wondering if and E fence is a viable option for a high energy dog. A couple questions.

1) Are they all the same? Collar >> Beep >> Shock?

2) What if the dog completely ignores it if there is ever another great escape?

3) How safe is this for the dog?

4) Whats the best bang for your buck and where should I get it?

Any input at all would be wonderful! We don't plan on having our dogs off leash while outside not fenced in or even off leash with a E-Fence but last night made me realize they can easily get away. Never had a dog just run off like that

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Anne is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Electric fence.

We use the IF (Invisible Fence) brand. Due to the way our property is laid out this is the best option for us. However, this does not mean it is the best option for everyone. We are the last house on a dirt, dead end road. Yet, we still go out with the dogs...every time they are out.

What is important to remember is that the IF is NOT 100% reliable. Ever. Additionally, the IF does not prevent other dogs/cats/people from entering your yard.

However, it does work. Training is KEY. We spent close to a month training the dogs. Our big dogs have never broken the boundary. (In fact, they don't wear their collars any more....but, shh, don't tell them that! :P) The puppy has not been trained on it yet. Will probably wait until she is around a year old before that happens.

Our IF gives a warning 'beep' prior to electric correction. I *think* this is variable and programmable....but not sure.

The collars (used to be anyway) are only on the dogs when they go outside. They are supposed to be safe to wear all the time, yet I worry. Additionally, I would never have the collar on the dog during an electrical storm. Again...worry.

So, if you made it all the way through this...good for you! Despite the fact that I have and use the IF, if I could have it any other way, I would have an 6-8ft wooden privacy fence. This would be the safest and surest way to go.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

kaytris is offline Senior Member

If i had a dedicated runner, I'd be looking at a physical fence. Ask your local animal control how many dogs they have picked up with e-collars ... if there is enough motivation (a squirrel, another dog, a car, whatever) some dogs will risk the momentary shock for the lasting pleasure of a chase - but then they won't come back.

Some dogs develop weird associations as well.. a friend rushed the e-fence training and ended up with a dog that would defecate in terror if forced to go outside to the yard.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I love my electric fence. I have one from Pet Stop, its technology was developed by the guy who did Invisible Fence. 1/5 large breed dogs will figure out that they can run through the fence. They have an extra feature that solves that problem. Everyone will tell you that training is most important, and it is, but its not difficult to do yourself. In 20 minutes my dog knew exactly where the boundaries were and has never gone near them.
    I have a half acre, Invisible fence price was $3000, Pet stop was $1000.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanJ
    1) Are they all the same? Collar >> Beep >> Shock?
    From what I have seen there is a beep, certain number of seconds, shock. (and I have tested it on myself, it scared the shit out of me but it definitely doesn't hurt. Its like turning one of those muscle stimulators on really high)
    2) What if the dog completely ignores it if there is ever another great escape?
    The dog can ignore it, but mine has never challenged the boundaries.
    3) How safe is this for the dog?
    Its safe, safer than being hit by a car. I think you want to make sure that the dog can't get trapped in the danger zone. That wouldn't make it very safe, but most have stimulus shut offs after a certain amount of seconds.
    4) Whats the best bang for your buck and where should I get it?
    Best bang for your buck is probably some of the DYI systems found on sites like www.gundogsupply.com but I really didn't want to bury all that wire, so Pet Stop did it with no attitional charges. Invisible fence was a bit too expensive relative to the others. They have a great repuation because these fences work. But they are really corporate, they send a sales consultant over to your house for a quote. They won't just tell you what the prices are.

http://www.petstop.com/

Tucker........Do you know anything about the Pet Safe brand of invisible fencing? They sale it at PetSmart and I think Lowes and Home Depot also carry it.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK was on along lead for months, almost a year when outside. 15 feet, then 25 feet as she got faster. I let her drag it, and it was long enough for me to get a foot on it should she try to bolt. It was invaluable for teaching recall. I don't know how others have done, but it literally took months to get her to respond under most neighborhood situations. She was 11 months old and still not good enough to leave the long lead off her for special situations, Squirrels, Deer, 6 year old neighbor, and a pair of yappy small dogs behind the neighbors chain link fence. I finally went to another method, lets call it a portable electric fence, and she is now 100% on recalland staying on the property in general. Including the circumstances above. Still need to test for Rabbits as spring approaches and they invade her space.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

snicksmom is offline Senior Member

We also have the Pet Stop brand of IF. And I agree with everything Tucker says. The price was good, and the service is great. We've had it for about 3 1/2 years now.

Snicks is VERY high energy but has never broken through it. Not even when there was a deer running through the woods right behind our house. She knows exactly where her boundries are and stops short just before it.

I've only seen her get corrected once after her initial training. That was the first time it snowed and her boundries looked different to her.
    Sue & Snicks in New Hampshire

"I got the ball Mom....!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by heyhowsitgoing
    Tucker........Do you know anything about the Pet Safe brand of invisible fencing? They sale it at PetSmart and I think Lowes and Home Depot also carry it.
    I don't know anything about Pet Safe. But I wouldn't buy a pet containment system from Lowes or Home Depot. Not sure why but I guess my logic is the same as why I don't buy dog food from the grocery store.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quick dumb question about Invisible fencing.......ok what happens if you forget its there will you get a zapp when u go over it? lol or is that now how it works?

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Not unless you, instead of the dog, are wearing the collar.

(there are two parts - the fence itself and the collar which receives the signal and administers the shock - its not like livestock fencing, which shocks when touched.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast