Ugh. What a horrible start. (adoption)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ugh. What a horrible start. (adoption)

DefaultUgh. What a horrible start. (adoption)

Well we adopted a Black Lab from APS today. Hes a good boy but has some behavior problems. So to start off I take him on a walk around the street/house just to see how things were. Ugh. that was a challenge. He pulls, spins, tries to get away and so on. He was afraid to come in the house at first but he finally went in on his own. Now this is not the bad part. That I can handle.

Him and my two other dogs get along great. They were playing for a while and when things calmed down he had some MASSIVE diarrhea on the kitchen floor. I'm sure its from poor diet and being very very stressed out right now (anyone know a quick way to temp harden it up till he gets used to the food?) Now this is not the bad part. That I can handle.

We take him outside to use the bathroom. It's raining like hell here tonight with possible severe T-Storms. I'm soaked as soon as I step outside. So is he. He does his little spin trick and woosh, hes off. The collar slips right off him. He take off running like 500 mph and turns and come back, charging at me. He thinks its a game. I can't catch him. Every time I take a step forward he takes off out of site. Our neighborhood has a lot of trees and houses close together so I lose site of him. Not from training my last dog, I know you do NOT chase after them. Out of nowhere here he come charging me again. once again he slips away. So on and on after 30 min in the rain he comes back. I'm so frustrated right now. The dog knows it, the Wife knows it and I'm lucky I didn't get shot running around in peoples back yards in the dark.

Anyone have any tips on an adopted dog? Ive always started out with puppies (SO EASY). I thought I had an Idea what to expect. *sigh*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ugh. What a horrible start. (adoption)

Use a chain collar on him until you have one he can't slip out of. Always carry treats, and train him to 'come' asap!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

A choke would do the trick. So would a martingale or limited slip nylon collar. As for the poops, youre probably right about it beig due to stress. I would cut the amount your feeding back a bit until he gets used to things, especially if you switched his food cold turkey. Good luck with the new pup!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

use a martingale adjusted properly so he can't pull out of it and put a second collar on him with a drag lead...

somewhere along his life he discovered that playing "get me if you can" got him attention... someone TAUGHT him this ..so be patient with him as he learns that COME is the right response right away

retrain him with joy and fun in your heart -- look at it as a learning curve

how much better a dog person you will be for working with him

I think you will find it easier then a puppy in many ways but it does take awhile to adjust

cheers

and thanks for rescuing
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Puppies only SEEM easy because of your recent experiences. I'm still close enough to being done puppyhood that I contest that statement.

In all seriousness, I agree with cutting back the food, and maybe adding some canned pumpkin to try and help him out in that area.

Good luck, and I hope it gets easier for you soon.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Have some good treats when going out. The poops may be from stress too. I would give him a few days to settle in. Do you know anything about his background? If he was afraid to come inside....maybe he was kept outside. It was wonderful of you to adopt him, it just may take some time for him to get used to his new place. Good luck.

Right now he is not treat motivated. I have tried a couple different kinds. You thought of him being outside is correct. Hes only 9 months old and has been chained outside for 8 months of that. Thats all I know.

Hes such a sweet guy inside the house but the outside makes him INSANE! I'm glad I dont know the people who surrendered him

Rescues can be a real challenge. My last lab Tucson came from rescue and had been terribly abused (starved and beaten). She was afraid of everything and had fear aggression. After several months I decided I couldn't handle it alone and hired a behaviorist/trainer who worked with abused golden retrievers. It was worth every penny I paid. Be patient. If the poor guy was chained outside his entire life there is a lot of learning he will need to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    A choke would do the trick. So would a martingale or limited slip nylon collar. As for the poops, youre probably right about it beig due to stress.
    I like the idea of a martingale. My best friend rehabs greyhounds and they make some lovely ones that are not hard on dogs necks like chokes are. These are pricey (but pretty!) http://www.2houndsdesign.com/. Petsmart and other places carry much cheaper ones that are perfectly functional

As for the recall, well, you just have to teach that. Maverick, my shared custody boy, LOVES that game and it annoys the crap out of me. Because Mav's only with me a couple of days a month, I can't really fix the problem- but you can definitely fix yours! I think Sunjin or Dana (Fallriver) has posted some great recall training tips. In the meantime, get some great treats- sausages, hot dogs, or string cheese- and be prepared to turn your back to him and walk away when he plays it.

The pooping is probably just food/stress related.

justine is offline Senior Member

have you tried hot dogs for snacks? abbey isn't crazy for snacks either, but she LOVES little pieces of hot dog. plus they are quick to eat, so its easy when you are training... and cheap, too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast