Ugh. What a horrible start. (adoption) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ugh. What a horrible start. (adoption)

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ugh. What a horrible start. (adoption)

I can only offer best of luck and say thanks for adopting a rescue. I bet with some patience and all he will be awesome!

I have only raised one so far and he was 7 weeks when I got him so I'm afraid I'm not much help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Consistency, routine, and a lot of TLC will do the trick, but it will take time and try your patience! It is so worth it though!! I agree with the collar - ALWAYS- on him, and a long (20') lead to teach "come" on command, but first let this poor guy destress for a couple of days!!

All of mine are rescues, all had to be "re"trained and I wouldn't change a thing! Their love and devotion and accomplishments are so very fulfilling!

Good luck to you and we'll be here to support you and your new addition on your journey!!

That and teach him to sit and wait before you open the door. but he is is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BryanJ
    Well we adopted a Black Lab from APS today. Hes a good boy but has some behavior problems. So to start off I take him on a walk around the street/house just to see how things were. Ugh. that was a challenge. He pulls, spins, tries to get away and so on. He was afraid to come in the house at first but he finally went in on his own. Now this is not the bad part. That I can handle.

Him and my two other dogs get along great. They were playing for a while and when things calmed down he had some MASSIVE diarrhea on the kitchen floor. I'm sure its from poor diet and being very very stressed out right now (anyone know a quick way to temp harden it up till he gets used to the food?) Now this is not the bad part. That I can handle.

We take him outside to use the bathroom. It's raining like hell here tonight with possible severe T-Storms. I'm soaked as soon as I step outside. So is he. He does his little spin trick and woosh, hes off. The collar slips right off him. He take off running like 500 mph and turns and come back, charging at me. He thinks its a game. I can't catch him. Every time I take a step forward he takes off out of site. Our neighborhood has a lot of trees and houses close together so I lose site of him. Not from training my last dog, I know you do NOT chase after them. Out of nowhere here he come charging me again. once again he slips away. So on and on after 30 min in the rain he comes back. I'm so frustrated right now. The dog knows it, the Wife knows it and I'm lucky I didn't get shot running around in peoples back yards in the dark.

Anyone have any tips on an adopted dog? Ive always started out with puppies (SO EASY). I thought I had an Idea what to expect. *sigh*
    I think the suggestions of the slip collars are good ones. Is a fence in your budget? That's really what he needs. Or maybe just a fenced off leash park where he can run off his pent up energy.

Poor puppy. He'll have a few issues to start, but he'll settle in and become a better dog. He's had a stressful day, too. New home, new dogs, new people.

Rescues are a challenge because they come with so much baggage. Try to start as if he is a puppy. Don't give him extra credit for his age as he is re-learning the rules of life.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

sometimes a rescue comes with a huge set of issues. My first week with my first foster was...L-O-N-G.
    You have already been given great advice. I just wanted to wish you good luck!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I adopted Teddy when he was 8 months old. He was an owner surrender and I don't know much about his history. He had nervous diarrhea when he came home with me, but it cleared up quickly. You might get something from your vet to help him out in that area.
    Adult (or almost adult) rescues are hard. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Teddy is 16 months old now and we are still working on correcting issues. I use a nylon slip collar on Teddy now--he, too, pulled out of his collar one evening when I was getting him out of the car. (Although he didn't take off!) I think it would have been easier to raise him from a pup and not let him develop these bad habits than try to correct them once he is for all practical purposes full grown. Sigh. But now he is mine and we are working through them. Be patient--things will turn around--maybe not overnight, but they will!
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Aw, bless his heart. And bless yours too for adopting him.

Hang in there. I can't believe he was chained outside for eight months of his young life. And he is right smack in the midst of high high high energy puppyhood. No wonder he's dashing around like a madman!

You should probably train recalls inside for a while I might start by saying his name and when he looks, lay a big ole' treat on him. Repeat repeat repeat. As you mentioned, never chase. Always make recalls a fun, memorable, exciting event, especially at first. Be very animated and lavish in your praise of him when he comes to you. And lots of treats!

He may not be interested in food right now just because of all the excitement. Try upping the ante with the treats. As someone mentioned, hot dogs seem to work very well. Mine will do ANYTHING for chicken.

I second the pumpkin to firm up the stools. Plain canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling. If that doesn't work, try a couple of bland meals of just plain white rice and maybe some boiled chicken.

Is there a training class you can enroll in? These are a great help, especially if you can find one where the instructors have been showing or training for many years.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

kaytris is offline Senior Member

A well fitted, snug harness might be an option as well. (although it IS possible for the very eely dogs to slip out of a harness... )

Thank you for adopting him! (Your local SPCA/rescue group may have the names of trainers experienced in working with rescues...

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Bry, I agree 100% with a martingale collar. They are awesome! Very safe for the dog, but he cannot slip out of it. You said he's been chained up outside most of his life ( :'() so that probably explains the bout of diarhea - he was probably a nervous wreck coming inside. How is he today?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

A well fitted, snug harness might be an option as well. (although it IS possible for the very eely dogs to slip out of a harness... )
    I was going to suggest this with a collar connected to the harness. This is the only method that is 100%
    slip-away-proof. When Judy and Duke were young, they could back out of any kind of collar or harness. Also tie a rope to the harness in case he does run off, just step on the rope as he goes by. I had trouble with Duke running off and I couldn't let him out of sight for fear that he would run in the street and get hit. I followed at a distance and he would always put more distance between us. (very frustrating) With a rope dragging behind him, when he slowed down to sniff, I stepped on the rope.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast