Behavior Question #2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behavior Question #2

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultBehavior Question #2

I think all, or at least most, of us have had dogs that tend to destuff their toys, and some of our valued possessions. I never really understood why, still don't. A teething action maybe when they are teething, but some continue long after that. HK has had this Uncle Sam Loofa for some time. One of her favorite toys. I have sewn it up several times, but she recently got ahead of me and it just wasn't worth the effort anymore. So, I was laying on the couch watching her destroy it. She isn't eating any of it, just pulling the stuffing out, spitting it out of her mouth, and tearing at the 'skin'. As I watched her, all I could see was this attempt to destroy. What is going on in their head? What is the natural equivalent that this is replacing?

Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Behavior Question #2

I don't know Ed. That is why I can't buy any stuffed toy....it would be de-stuffed in minutes. Shoes have been left out, I have a black lab door stop thing(it's stuffed), they never touch a thing. But let me try to give them a stuffed toy & it's gone in minutes. :

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I suppose it's quite similar to tearing open a carcass to get at the meat inside. Stuffing doesn't have an attractive taste so it isn't eaten but possibly all the stuffing has to come out to be sure there isn't a tasty morsel someplace inside?

JMO

(And Puff never destuffs any of her toys -- we have one Teddy Bear for home, one for the van, and one for the Honda coupe. ;D )
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

I don't understand it either. Shane loved his stuffed goose and/or duck to death. They usually won't last more than 15 minutes. I notice he goes right for the face and tears at it with his front teeth! He spits the stuffing out too. I even tried a kong wubba, it too only lasted 10-15 minutes. I have to replace the Nylabones every other week.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

I agree with Bob it reminds me of how you see a wild animal tearing apart a carcus using their paws to hold it then ripping at it. I'm not sure why they feel the need to do it with a stuffed animal but that's what it reminds me of.

My kids all do the same too! No stuffed toys at all for them!

Lidosdad is offline Senior Member

My dog very rarely actually destroys his toys. He does the exact opposite, he suckels his stuffed animals. It's the strangest thing. He will mouth his toys, sometimes for hours, very passively. He's done this since a pup. Helps keep down the cost of replacing them, even though it grosses out my wife.

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lidosdad
    My dog very rarely actually destroys his toys. He does the exact opposite, he suckels his stuffed animals. It's the strangest thing. He will mouth his toys, sometimes for hours, very passively. He's done this since a pup. Helps keep down the cost of replacing them, even though it grosses out my wife.
    Tundra's done this too since a pup.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Libby had a ton of stuffed animals and never destuffed any of them. Then came Willy. At first I thought he just wanted to make a hole and get the squeaky thing out. I still think that is part of it. But some toys don't have a squeaker. Some animals he will destroy immediately, others he will suck and nibble on for months and not chew. Then all of a sudden there's stuffing flying everywhere. He still carries them around and either sucks on them or plays with them even after the stuffing is gone. I really can't figure him out. I go to the local goodwill store and get them for twenty-five or fifty cents so I'm not out much money.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe it's nothing more than a compulsion, kind of like when people pop bubble wrap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast