raisin toxicity
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: raisin toxicity

  1. #1
    amazongold's Avatar
    amazongold is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    23,457

    Defaultraisin toxicity

    If you have a dog... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.

    Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM
    Danville Veterinary Clinic
    Danville , Ohio

    This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at Med.Vet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1 A.M. on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7 A.M.

    I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

    The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to Med.Vet. for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

    He started vomiting again overnight at Med.Vet. and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given Lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.

    This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handlers. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

    Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.
    Confirmation from Snopes about the above... http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Tundra Aries Guest

    DefaultRe: raisin toxicity

    Thank you SOOO much for posting this, actually about a month ago Tundra got some grapes that fell out of the fridge and I didn't know that they were toxic, he had the runs and was bleeding from his rectum, not acting right at all, I didn't know until about a week later my MIL sent me an email and was shocked

  4. #3
    rottnlab dad's Avatar
    rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    4,939

    DefaultRe: raisin toxicity

    Very sad. (It seems kind of weird that the vets only seemed to have anecdotal information about the poisonous effects of grapes and raisins - although it doesn't sound like more information would have made much difference in this case.)

    Thanks for sharing this sobering reminder.

    Bella

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    610

    DefaultRe: raisin toxicity

    Mars ate an entire raisin pie recently. Other than a STINKY burp, he was ok. But I won't be taking my chances - he's back in the kennel when we aren't home!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25